R2 release of Hard Boiled? ++

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris georgeson, Mar 7, 2001.

1. chris georgeson

anyone know anything about this? In typical UK fashion, release will confirm what everyone does not know, but can slaver over. Tartan is the releaser, and this site - the R2 Databse - is showing this title to be 16 x 9 - possibly.
    any words from anyone?
    http://www2.r2-dvd.org/DBDirect.jsp?COMMENT=2684
    ------------------

2. David Sams

David Sams Auditioning

Chris
    This is a reissue from Tartan of Hard Boiled. There first attempt was cut, 4:3 and dubbed [​IMG]
    This new version set for release on the 19th March is to be uncut and feature an anamorphic widescreen transfer, original Chinese language with English subtitles along with interview with director John Woo, original theatrical trailer, still gallery, star filmographies, on screen article & uncut Scene Comparison. [​IMG]
    Looks like being an expensive day the 19th over here what with Ring and Terminator : Special Edition being released that day as well. [​IMG]
    Regards
    David

3. chris georgeson

Umm, YUM YUM !!!
    Make a hole and Make IT WIDE!!!!
    ------------------

4. chris georgeson

Got it today, and it's REGION O!! it'll play on any dvd player?!?!?!?!
    I'll let you know how it looks. [​IMG]
    ------------------

5. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...indeed it will, except that, being a DVD from the UK, it will be PAL, not NTSC...
    . . .

6. chris georgeson

Hendrik - yes it is anamorphic, and yes, right, it is pal (using an Apex and vid grade crt; I know, the 4% speedup, and the occasional prob with those extra scan lines announcing theirselves).
    *But it is nice to see it with the extra res.* But Tartan's picture is not the repaired one that Criterion has. The boat in the harbor scene is marred by a film tear that momentarily appears, whereas on the Criterion there is no such "marring" of the picture at that point. And there are some other *spot* film mars.
    And of course, the Tartan does not have the extras to the extent of the Criterion. Still, the anamorphic is a *nice* shot in the arm, PAL notwithstanding.
    ------------------

7. Neil Jenkins

Neil Jenkins Auditioning

Personally I felt it was an appalling transfer, I personally prefer the Criterion by far. There is NO Shadow detail on the Tartan release and it is extremely dark.
    ------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

8. chris georgeson

Neil
    Oh, absolutely, I was holding out hope for it to brighten up once I fiddled with the pots. But . . . .
    film tears, WAY too dark, yeah .. .
    well, guess I gotta go see a man about a disc.
    ------------------