R2 Metropolis jan 20 2003 2 disc set from Eureka Video

Discussion in 'DVD' started by oscar_merkx, Nov 3, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4901
    These are the extras on the disc
    The Metropolis Case - From Art to Cinema; From Caligari to Metropolis; From Vienna to Berlin; The Making of Metropolis; Imaginary Architecture; Viewing Machines; Special Effects; Sound Pictures; The Unmaking; The Remaking; After Metropolis
    The Restoration - Metropolis as an Example of Film Restoration
    Photo Galleries - The Making of Metropolis - Production Stills; Missing Scenes; Architectural Sketches; Costume Designs; Poster
    Facts and Dates
    Biographies - Fritz Lang; Thea von Harbou; Erich Pommer; Karl Freund; Gunther Rittau; Otto Hunte; Erich Kettelhut; Gottfried Huppert~; Brigitte Helm; Gustav Frohlich; Rudolf KIem-Rogge; Alfred Abel; Heinrich George
    DVD Credits
    Directed by Fritz Lang and written by his wife Thea von Harbou, "Metropolis" is a landmark in film history and a huge influence on subsequent sci-fi and fantasy films, most notably Blade Runner and the Star Wars series. Backed by the vast, state-operated Ufa, the film was a milestone in cinematic technique involving thousands of extras, astounding futuristic sets and groundbreaking special effects.
    Now, with Eureka Video's double disc special edition release, it is possible to view "Metropolis" with a photographic quality that comes extremely close to the visual impression made by the premiere copy of 1927, and brings to a successful close the efforts of various film archives to reconstruct and preserve this quite extraordinary film. A fascinating celebration of a timeless classic that will astound and entertain, this is a must-have release for any serious film collection.
    To coincide with the double disc special edition release, Eureka, in conjunction with Arrow films, is also releasing ~ theatrically in two London venues on 17 January 2003 - the NFT and The Other Cinema (formally know as The Metro) - followed by a regional screening programme.

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Great! Thanks for the info.
    Does Eureka have an exchange pogram for people that want to get rid of their crappy previous release, BTW? [​IMG] (It was better than the American Madacy release, though.)

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Mark
    Ik heb geen idee. You could always email them and see what happens I suppose.
    Groetjes
    Oscar
    [​IMG]

4. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

I've read that the recent Kino restoration of the film was projected at the slightly sped-up sound framerate of 24 fps. Since PAL runs at 25 fps, this release would only make matters worse. So I'll be waiting for the R1 release.

5. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Wasn't the intended speed 26 fps?

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I thought it was 16 or 18fps.

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I think the last Eureka release was speed corrected. Any word on if this version will be also?

Jeff

8. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

Although the previous Eureka release wasn't the best, I really liked the new score [​IMG] I'll certainly be buying the new one but I'll be hanging onto the old one too.

9. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Glenn Erickson at DVD Savant has written a lot of commentary over the last few months berating the Kino folk for their choice of 24fps. He feels sure that 16-18 fps (or thereabouts) is much preferable and has given a lot of examples from the film where the slight speed-up adds an unintentional humour or odd sensation to a scene. It's all a bit of a shame really, and seems odd that Kino made this decision based on maintaining some sort of integrity with the newly done soundtrack. Kino have argued for the frame rate but I remain unconvinced.

10. DieterW

DieterW Agent

Concerning the fps of silents, you have to take into account that we work with several standars nowadays which did not exist 80 years ago. To comply to current standards, a movie should be 24 (NTSC FILM) or 25 fps (PAL). The fps of silents usually ranges between 16 and 24 fps. Some silents even have various fps, depending on what reel you are looking at (Tolerance, I think, is a movie where every reel has another prefered fps). Restoration can occurr in two ways:
    1. The not-prefered speeding up of the movie. Movement looks very odd this way...
    2. Frame reconstruction.
    When applying frame reconstruction, new frames are created to obtain the necessary 24 fps. These newly created frames are interpolations of the two neighbouring frames, or is an exact copy of the previous or next frame. Imagine that 'X' is an existing frame, and a 1 second sequence looks like this:
    XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX (20 fps)
    This silent can be restored to NTSC FILM by adding 4 double frames ('Y'):
    XXXXXY XXXXXY XXXXXY XXXXXY (24 fps)
    Instead of repeating a frame, an interpolated frame can be constructed as well. The PAL version can be obtained by speeding it up a little bit. I've encoded several silent movies which I own on DVD to DivX format, so I can watch them on my labtob when I have to travel. It was my purpose to drop the extra frames, in order to obtain a higher quality copy. Silents can be restored to 30 fps (NTSC) as well. The problem to obtain a PAL version is that you have to merge 5 frames per second, which can result in blurriness.

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The evidence for 26 fps is apparently a notation on the music score for the premiere. But having seen Metropolis at 18 fps, with Dennis James at the organ and theremin, I'd have to say this is the right speed, evidence be damned. At this speed, for the first time Maria's dance doesn't look ridiculous or comic. Even at 18 fps, several sequences are visibly undercranked and sped up (Fredersen in the rooftop garden, the mob pushing against the gate as the flood strikes), though this is probably intentional for effect.

The old Eureka disc at 12 or 14 fps was way too slow, though.

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

here is the review from http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=5134
    To compound this further, the film runs at around 15 frames per second (fps) rather than the more accepted 18fps, hence the longer running time. The picture quality also left a lot to be desired, and the musical score was a modern electronic composition.
    sound confused, yu should read the rest of the article then
    [​IMG]

13. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

14. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

DVD Savant Glenn Erickson now has a review up of the Region 1 special edition METROPOLIS from Kino. I'm adding the link here as he goes into further, substantial detail about the fps issue, his negative feelings about this aspect of the Kino release, and Kino's response to his comments. If all these affect the new NTSC edition to the degree that he describes, the PAL Region 2 edition (running even faster) must really compound the problem.
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s711metro.html

15. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks Anthony for the link, it all makes for a very confusing decision to buy then
    [​IMG]

16. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Thats disappointing. Perhaps in a couple of years Criterion will do this title right.

17. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

Does anyone own the german Deluxe Edition? I´m wondering if it is a digipack or not? It seems like the best edition overall.

18. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR