R2 La Dolce Vita

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Harris, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Dean Harris

Dean Harris Auditioning

I picked up the R2 La Dolce Vita dvd after tiring of the wait for something along the line of a Criterion job and am pretty pleasantly surprised.

The aspect ratio is 2:1, significantly better than the 1.77:1 listed on the cover (the film should be framed at about 2.35:1, though I'll admit that the framing doesn't look at all tight, save one brief scene at the very beginning of the film, here), and the subtitles are below the image, in the lower black bar. While not a perfect transfer by any means, this looks better than any I have seen yet.

As a mid-priced disc, I'd heartily recommend it to anyone who loves the film, at least until something definitive comes along.

-Dean

2. andrew markworthy

I'd second that opinion, Dean, but for slightly different reasons. I'm not a huge fan of Italian cinema (I prefer Bergman's Scandanavian gloom), and for me the R2 La Dolce Vita is fine - an acceptable transfer that's adequate for a movie I won't watch a large number of times.

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I also bought this DVD and was also surprised at how nice it looks. For some reason I was expecting a lot worse.

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

5. Dean Harris

Dean Harris Auditioning

good question. The package doesn't say, and I don't have a widescreen television, so I don't have an answer to that one. Anyone else?

-Dean

6. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

7. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

8. Dean Harris

Dean Harris Auditioning

how right you are! I have the Malata player and found that the display feature indicates a 4:3 ratio with the UK R2 "La Dolce Vita" disc playing. An anamorphic disc indicates 16:9, so this release is apparently not anamorphic.
    -Dean