What's new

R2 La Dolce Vita (1 Viewer)

Dean Harris

Auditioning
I picked up the R2 La Dolce Vita dvd after tiring of the wait for something along the line of a Criterion job and am pretty pleasantly surprised.

The aspect ratio is 2:1, significantly better than the 1.77:1 listed on the cover (the film should be framed at about 2.35:1, though I'll admit that the framing doesn't look at all tight, save one brief scene at the very beginning of the film, here), and the subtitles are below the image, in the lower black bar. While not a perfect transfer by any means, this looks better than any I have seen yet.

As a mid-priced disc, I'd heartily recommend it to anyone who loves the film, at least until something definitive comes along.

-Dean

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'd second that opinion, Dean, but for slightly different reasons. I'm not a huge fan of Italian cinema (I prefer Bergman's Scandanavian gloom), and for me the R2 La Dolce Vita is fine - an acceptable transfer that's adequate for a movie I won't watch a large number of times.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I also bought this DVD and was also surprised at how nice it looks. For some reason I was expecting a lot worse.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
...and the subtitles are below the image, in the lower black bar.
Should I surmise from this that it is a non-anamorphic tranfer with subtitle positioning that will screw up anyone with a widescreen TV?

If so, I'll just have to wait for Criterion...

Ted

Dean Harris

Auditioning
good question. The package doesn't say, and I don't have a widescreen television, so I don't have an answer to that one. Anyone else?

-Dean

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
good question. The package doesn't say, and I don't have a widescreen television, so I don't have an answer to that one. Anyone else?
To find out if a DVD is anamorphic on a 4:3 TV -- set your DVD player to 16:9 mode. If the picture looks normal, the same as before, it is not an anamorphic DVD. If everyone is now tall & thin, it is anamorphic.

(Warning: this trick will not work with a Malata or simillar player which creates it's own anamorphic picture out of 4:3 material. However, it's sophisticated display feature, probably tells you if the source is anamorphic or not).

Ted

Dean Harris

Auditioning
how right you are! I have the Malata player and found that the display feature indicates a 4:3 ratio with the UK R2 "La Dolce Vita" disc playing. An anamorphic disc indicates 16:9, so this release is apparently not anamorphic.
-Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks