What's new

R2 Fox Studio Classics have much better covers than R1. (1 Viewer)

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Yep. And if you get a chance, compare the covers to the UK releases of the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes series to the cheesy covers we got here in the States.

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
Not only are the covers different, but many of the films themselves are different from the R1 series. What's up with that? None of the following have yet appeared in R1 as Fox Studio Classics:

Heaven Knows, Mr Allison
Hello, Dolly!
Heidi
The Young Lions
Lady in Cement
The Big Trail
The Boston Strangler
The Comancheros
The Sand Pebbles
The Undefeated
The Fly (1958)
Von Ryan’s Express

And this is just among the first 20 to be released in R2. Does this mean that we might look forward to Studio Classics releases of these Fox titles?

William Miller

Second Unit
Yes, these titles do not match up exactly with the R1 Studio Classics series. But all of the titles have been released in R1. (Lady in Cement is coming soon.)

Since the details of the R2 content have not been released yet, they might not contain the same bonus materials of the R1 Studio Classics. They may be using the same name as the R1 series but they may not be as extensive in content.

But if it turns out they really are going to be true special editions....

I want my 1958 The Fly R1 Studio Classic edition!

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator
I completely agree. The R2 covers are actual real advertising, whereas R1 is the old VHS covers cut and pasted with new backgrounds.

Dave,
Heaven Knows Mr. Allison is on the Fox War Classics line in R1. Lady in Cement will be part of the Sinatra set this year. Several of the other titles have already been released as standalones. There are many great Fox classics that deserve releasing before they repackage and reissue old releases.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Wow, those covers are GORGEOUS... particularly LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. My one gripe about the region 1 Fox Studio Classics line is the flat and lifeless coverart. Enjoy, region 2!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The covers might be nice, but in nearly all cases R2 releases of R1 'Studio Classics' films have been denuded of extras (for instance The Day The Earth Stood Still was missing the documenatry); word is that many of these releases have no extras at all, never mind exclusive R2 extras.

My bet is that this is just a marketing device; great covers, shame about the content...

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Maybe I should make a friend overseas who can provide high-res scans of 'em, and systematically replace my r1 covers... :D

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Judging from these R2 titles and the R1 film noir titles, Fox seem to have at last realised that classic film fans want classic cover art. The R2 titles all seem to be bare-bones releases but I'm almost tempted to get them so that I can replace the R1 covers.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

Studio Classics is a highly collectible range of 70 classic films made between 1930 and 1970,

This is this the most interesting bit of the press release.

What other movies can we expect ?

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator
I saw "A Farewell to Arms" (1957) listed somewhere online as an R2 Studio Classic.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I love these covers - I HATE the studio classic covers here in the U. S. ( I genereally hate coves with white backgrounds.)
I'm really curious if Hello Dolly has the documentary about the making of the film that we were supposed to get and did not.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I THINK WE SHOULD ALL CONTACT USA FOX AND COMPLAIN AND ASK THEM TO REPLACE OUR COVERS WITH THEIR GORGEOUS COVERS !!!!!!!!! WHAT IS THE NUMBER ????????????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks