What's new

R2 Crimson Tide - SE - not so special (1 Viewer)

Chris Stone

Agent
just checked out the new Crimson Tide SE and it is not so special after all

they used the same anamorphic transfer as with the 1st release, however, due to a higher bitrate and better encoding technologies the end result is a step up

sound is the same solid 5.1 mix

what is really disappointing are the extras

no commentary (WTF) and the handful of deleted scenes only last a couple of minutes - there is some b-roll-footage and a making-of from 96 (I believe the one from the LD release) and the trailer

one can only hope they come up with something better for a Region 1 re-release

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Could a mod please alter the title to reflect that this is NOT the R1 release. I had to read the whole post to find that out.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Also, can someone give some info on when we're gonna see the R1 release. I saw this and was ready to run out to Best Buy and get my copy. But it made no sense since he said they used the same anamorphic transfer as the original. But the R1 original is non-anamorphic.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Not sure when the new R1 Release will come out - but I am looking forward to it. Aren't these studios damn slow these days issuing much needed re-releases of certain films? I've got a list of movies that need real treatment, yet I've heard nothing about them coming out soon.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Disney have done this with a number of their titles in R2 and R4 which now they are on DVD9 they have added a few extras mainly original making of docs and a few limited deleted scenes plus trailer.

Titles with this upgrade are Crimson Tide, Enemy of State and Ransom.

Only interesting one so far is Ransom which has a directors commentary, others nothing to get excited about.

For those of you in the US are these the type of titles to get a Vista release from Disney ?

They did this for Tombstone but I would have thought the above 3 are much more popular titles to reissue ? also with DTS would be superb.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
For those of you in the US are these the type of titles to get a Vista release from Disney ?
They did this for Tombstone but I would have thought the above 3 are much more popular titles to reissue ? also with DTS would be superb.
Yeah Malcolm, what you're thinking makes sense but it is not what Buena Vista does in R1. The "Vista" Series is now largely defunct. Some big titles like Unbreakable got the treatment, but many other big films (such as the three you mention) did not. $600M worldwide grosser Pirates Of the Caribbean got a 'Lost Disc,' 3-disc re-release but not Vista treatment.
-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.