R2 BBC Legend of Robin Hood (1975) release

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Alfred_D, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Alfred_D

Alfred_D Extra

2Entertain is releasing the region 2 DVD for this 1975 BBC miniseries starring Martin Potter and Diane Keen. It is currently available for pre-order at Play.com and WHSmith. Hopefully, a region 1 release will follow via BBCAmerica.

2. Alfred_D

Alfred_D Extra

For those of you in the US and Canada who would like to see this series in R1 format, the fax number for BBC Worldwide America is 1-212-888-0576. According to the BBC, this is the office that will decide on the release. Please send a fax requesting this title if you would like to see it released.

E-mail received from the BBC:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'The Legend of Robin Hood'.

I gather you are keen to know if this programme will be released a 'Region 1' DVD at anytime soon.

I am currently unaware of any plans to release this series. However, if you would like to make a suggestion for its release, I would suggest you put it in writing to BBC Worldwide who are responsible for the commercial release of all BBC products. Please find below the contact details for the North America office:

BBC Worldwide Americas
    747 3rd Avenue
    6th floor
    NY 10017
    USA
    Tel: 001 212 705 9300
    Fax: 001 212 888 0576

3. Irina

Irina Second Unit

Thanks for the tip Alfred! As far as the interested North American residents are concerned, it would seem a lot easier to just buy the R2 edition and watch it on a region-free DVD player. All the inquiring and lobbying for R1 release might take a long time. This is exactly why we have this region-free forum so we can share the region-free DVD information and not wait forever for the titles we are interested in.

4. Alfred_D

Alfred_D Extra

Region 2 DVD release date is now Sept. 11.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Was this shot on video or film?

6. Alfred_D

Alfred_D Extra

I have no idea myself. I've heard that many of the earlier BBC TV minis were a combination of both but I really don't know. Try the forums at DVD-Roobarb or The Mausoleum Club. There are members there who are experts on this type of info and there is a "Legend of Robin Hood" thread currently on both.

7. Alfred_D

Alfred_D Extra

UPDATE: One of the replies in the LORH thread at DVD-Roobarb seems to indicate that the series was shot in both film (outdoors) and video (indoors). Hope this helps.

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Thanks, Alfred; I suspected that they were shot that way. The BBC often used 16mm for exteriors. The final composite was in analogue video.