What's new

R2 Anamorphic list... etc etc (1 Viewer)

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, morning… as usual, due to biz trip, I was not able to write lately. This might change in a few months from now, but for the time being, this is going to be the routine. (this means I will be writing once in a week or so)...
Anyway, I am glad that mails asking for details on some releases and other related questions keep arrive, I will keep the efforts to be answering ya on a weekly basis.
carpenter.jpg

To celebrate our 100th post I will be covering John Capenter's DVD releases, this is 'dedicated' to both Ian and Clark... sorry it took me so long fellas.
Regarding Carpenter's Escape From New York, while I got no faint idea on what the forthcoming US release will include (sorry, was away for the last couple of weeks, will get back with this next week when I find some time), and the UK BMG release is a disastrous, non-anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen letterboxed and English stereo release (the soundtrack is originally Stereo, but was transferred quite badly to the disc ), with a blurry image full of artefacts and no extras beside the rather interesting production notes. The finest release of this one so far is by all means the French TF1 release, which is called 'New York 1997' for some reason... at any rate, New York 1997 features only French and English mono audio tracks (which offers a subtle improvement over the Stereo English track on the UK release), and a glorious anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer which squeezes the most out of the poor master (there is a problem of appropriate masters for this low budget film). The major drawback I encountered was the irremovable French subtitles on the English audio track. On the extras side, ya can find the French trailer and filmographies.
Carpenter's The Fog was only released as a French TF1 dvd-5 disc and is called only 'Fog' there.
The anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen transfer for this 1980 film is exemplary in my opinion when ya consider the master it was produced from. The colours are splendid and the fog scenes in particular are presented sumptuously... the transfer does suffer from a few compression artefacts.
Soundtrack is presented in its original film format, Mono, but is clear and 'correct'. Again, irremovable French subtitles and no extras whatsoever.
Moving to The Thing, which will be released on August 29th on Region 1. Well, it might look as if nothing can beat the upcoming US release, which will not only include a Commentary track by director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell, Production notes, Theatrical trailer, a documentary "John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape" featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, make-up designer Rob Bottin, matte artist Albert Whitlock, and other cast and crew members, plus outtakes, work-in-progress special effects footage and behind-the-scenes footage, Outtakes, Behind-the-scenes photographs, Storyboards and conceptual art and Annotated production archive, but also an original 4.0 printmaster audio track which has been remastered and coded in Dolby® Digital 5.1 discrete. Well... the French release can beat this one as well, in my opinion. The Universal release features all the extras, the Dolby Digital 5.1 English track and does better on the image side, with an anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer compared with a Letterboxed, non-anamorphic transfer on the US disc.
The French disc also features French Dolby Surround 2.0 track and Italian/Polish/Spanish mono tracks as well as optional subtitles in French, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Turkish and Norwegian.
Vampires does better on the US release with both Widescreen anamorphic and Full Screen transfers, glorious English DD5.1 and Dolby Surround 2.0 tracks, a Carpenter commentary track, trailer and a image gallery compared with a widescreen anamorphic transfer on the French disc, a DD5.1 tracks in both French and English, a set of interviews but yet again, irritating irremovable French subtitles during the movie.
Last but not least, Christine... first, the bare details, the US release features both Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1 and Full Screen 1.33:1 tranfers along with English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono), Portugese (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono) audio tracks and subititles in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese and Thai. The French disc includes a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer with French/English/Spanish/Italian/German Dolby Surround 2.0 and subtitles in French, English, Dutch, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Danish, Polish, Turkish, Czech, Hungarian, Hindi, Islandish, Norwegian, Greek, Hebrew and Arab along with Filmographies. Comparing the image transfers... okay, on the US side, the image sharp and detailed. Though colors are slightly inconsistent, the result is still better on the US disc, on the Audio track side, in my opinion, the English track on the French disc is warmer and a little deeper.
That is it for now,
I will try to keep ya updated laters.
Keep those mail come.
Laters,
Omer
omerm.jpg

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm.... going over the reader's mail I faced a question regarding Miramax's 1997 Welcome To Sarajevo.
Well, VCI had just announced that this Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomey war drama will be released on October 2nd and will not only feature an anamorphic transfer and a Dolby Surround 2.0 audio track but cast interviews, trailers and TV spots and behind-the-scenes footage.
Jeff, I will get back to ya with Buffy release news by Sunday.
More a little laters.
Omer

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, two more reader's mail I had to answer...
Robert K., I sincerely got no clue why ya asked whether or not there is a release of Robert Lee's Dead Fire hanging out there, but at any rate, there is...
The infamous Sci-Fi will only be released on Region 2 (no US release for now) on September 4th as a French release and will feature a Full Screen transfer along with both English and French Dolby Surround 2.0 audio tracks and a French trailer. ack, glad I got it over with...
Getting on, I guess none of ya remember 1996's Unhook The Stars... at least no one beside Andreas who asked to know if there is any release for this one, as it was never released as a US region 1 disc.
Well, I am glad to admit that this Marisa Tomey film was released as a French disc and included an exemplary 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer along with a rather nice (tho not that 'active') English and French stereo tracks and a French trailer (no subtitles whatsoever on this one).
omerm.jpg

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, yet another one, answering Michael from the NYC, who asked for an anamorphic release for She's All That.
Well, kind of a good news and bad news thingie I guess.
The good news is that the French release not only include an excellent anamorphic transfer, which shows quite an improvement over the US disc and an English / French Dolby Digital 5.1 audio tracks, but also Interviews Filmographies, a Trailer and a Making Of featurette.
On the other hand, the US release is quite poor, featuring only a Widescreen non-anamorphic transfer and an English Dolby Surround 2.0 and a music video (Sixpence Non The Richer's 'Kiss Me')...
So, we got our winner, right ?
Not exactly... the French release has those irremovable French subtitles which one can find quite irritating (although I found those very subtly damaging this release).
Anyway, it is up to ya now,
Take care,
Omer
omerm.jpg

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
More reader's mail...
Ziv from Michigan requeted enquired me on Arnold Schwarzenegger's Raw Deal...
Well, unlike the US release, the French release is 2.30:1 anamorphic widescreen (the US disc was not anamorphically enhanced), the transfer is a remaster and shows significant improvement over the Region 1 disc.
Both soundtracks are Dolby Surround 2.0 but the main drawback on the French release is its obligatory French subtitles on the English audio track.
Moving forward, question from Quebec on Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn's Bird on a Wire. okay, this one is an easy choice in favor of the French release which features a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer compared with a 2.10:1 (original) letterboxed transfer on the US disc. both releases include an English Dolby Surround 2.0 audio track (The US release also has a DS2.0 French track while the French release features French/Italian/Spanish/German DS2.0 tracks as well as an English track). both releases features a trailer and production notes and the French disc added fimographies to its extras. (no irremovable subtitles on this one as it is a European release and not a French one).
omerm.jpg

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Dogma.jpg

Well, a big update, at least in my opinion...
a DTS release of Dogma will be released on October 4th by TF1 and which will include 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and both French and English DD5.1 and DTS audio tracks with both English and French irremovable subtitles. The French release should feature filmographies, trailer and a bunch of interviews... hopefully the subtitles will not be too disturbing and only a subtle distraction as it usually is.
omerm.jpg

Omer, I just got delivery of the French NIKITA and while it looks glorious, that 2.0 English dolby is missing a few digits.
I wonder if you can dig up the goods on a 5.1 English anamorphic Nikita - as you referred to on the bottom of this thread's page 2.
Once again, YOU ARE THE MAN!!
thanks from all of us for making wallet-emptying so much fun!

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, I first watched Nikita on a Gaumont screening and while I did notice an excellent transfer, I could not tell if the soundtrack was English bad Dolby Digital 5.1 or just a Dolby Surround 2.0... on the press release I recieved from Gaumount they claimed a Dolby Digital 5.1 release, which I stated on the post. after your post I enquired my 'mole' at Gaumount which stated to me that the final release had no DD5.1 track, and thus the mistake...
Anyway, look forward for a US region 1 release of Nikita which will include a widescreen transfer (still not sure whether or not it will be anamorphic) and a Dolby Digital 5.1 track.
Mucho Gracias for the kind words,
Will be glad to answer any other question.
Take good care,
Omer.

Omer - that's one of the questions that can be hard to answer - I have a processor that tells me what the mix is, because I can't always tell - I know that the R.1 Nikita sounded fine, but it is kind of like my R.2 Big Blue - it sounds fine, too, tho a bit low on level - sometimes just having the cream on the cake isn't enough, y'know?
I don't think the 4.0 Nikita mix was all that much more than the stereo mix - I can always buy again if you/I can find a 5.1 version that's anamorphic - is that asking too much, studios?
I haven't tried the R.1 Big Blue yet, but I've seen a review or two noting that the transfer was done from a print, complete with reel change markers.
This anamorphic Nikita - well, it does what all of my other non-R.1 anamorphic titles do - show me the movie the way it was intended to be shown in a home theater - optimized resolution on a low budget!
The main reason I get so excited about anamorphic AND Pal is that I get a bonus widening of the picture from my Sony CRT (video grade 1020) because I stretch (I turn a knob, or pot) the picture width to 77" (6.5 feet) for anamorphic from a letterbox width of 62" (5 feet plus) and get a colorful, big image that is full of resolution - looking almost like a small direct view television as the colors pop and the enhanced PAL resolution just makes it that much better, altho I gotta wonder what a data grade CRT and/or scaler would do, but that's outta the budget for now.
Omer - one last question - that new THING release for the US - I can't find any mention of it anywhere - but the dvdzone2 info on the R.2 version states that it is "4/3 2.35:1" - I've included the link if you'd like to take a look.
http://www.dvdzone2.com/cgi-bin/fr/O...ch&search=0760
Kind words never hurt, do they? It'd be rough going without all of your posts - thanks loads1

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, first things first.
TF1 is planning yet another excellent release with the upcoming November 22nd DTS release of End Of Days 'Edition Prestige' (ya must admit it sound good on French).
The French disc will include both English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 audio tracks along with an English DTS track.
The transfer will be 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, and extras are still to be determined.
Will keep ya updated on that one.
Okay, another comparasion I was requested to do is the Cube one. Sooo, starting with the extras, the French TF1 release features:
Vincenzo Natali's short 'Elevated' making of documentary (English), Director's Commentary, Storyboards to selected scenes from the film, Storyboards to film comparasion, Drawings of costumes and production, Deleted scenes with Director's commentary, Interview with Director, Vincenzo Natali's Biographpy, Cube trailers (English and French), 5 French trailers, Internet Links. The US Region 1 release extras are Theatrical trailer, Deleted scenes, Comparative and alternate storyboards, Production design, Schematic set design, Prize listSpecial effects artwork, Production commentary.
The soundtrack is identical as well, as both releases feature an English Dolby Surround 2.0 audio track.
While the extras offers quite the same insight to the process of the film making, give or take an extra, the major improvement on the French release is its anamorphic widescreen 1.85:1 transfer compared with a 1.85:1 non-anamorphic transfer, and is a real step ahead compared with the Region 1 transfer.
Take care,
Omer
omerm.jpg

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, Nikita will be re-released with Dolby Digital 5.1 track, I will get back to ya with the final details by next week.
George asked on Travolta's White Man's Burden, well, the US Region 1 release featured a Widescreen Letterboxed transfer with English DD5.1 and behind the scenes featurette.
The french release includes, and lets get it over with first, irremovable French subtitles... sorry George.
Beside that, the release also lacks on the soundtrack side with only Dolby Surround 2.0 English track but does better on the image side with a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen tranfer.
Jack asked a question on Jeff Bridges White Squall, okay, again, good news and bad news, US release features a making of featurette which is missing from the French release. The Soundtrack on the US release is a Dolby Digitla 5.1 track compared with a Dolby Surround 2.0 English track on the French release. The French release does better on the image side with a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen compared with a letterboxed transfer on the US region 1 release.
Will try to find time to update laters.
Omer

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Morning, flooded with biz lately, sorry for not updating.
Jim from the big apple inquired me on Nagisa Oshima's 1983 film Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (featuring David Bowie if ya remember).
Okay, the title was never released as a US region 1 title, and actually, it was never released in its original name anywhere, BUT... ya can find a French disc in the name Furyo with this movie. the disc features 1.77:1 anamorphic transfer (original aspect ratio) and both French / English Stereo audio tracks, on the supplements side, there is a trailer (French one) and both Oshima and Bowie filmos. the major drawback, as ya might expected, is the irremovable French subtitles.
hmmm, time for another one ? okay okay, Sinthia asked if What's Love Got To Do With It ? was ever released with an anamorphic transfer ? well, the answer is yippie. the French disc, which is called Tina by the way, featured a glorious anamorphic transfer, compared with only widescreen letterboxed transfer on the Region 1 relase, and the same DD5.1 audio track. (add French DD5.1 and Italian Stereo audio tracks to the French Region 2 release, along with German and English / English for hearing impaired subtitles)
Menny sent a question on whether or not there is an anamorphic disc of Missisippi Burning, again, the answer for ya is yes as well, the French disc features a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, along with Dolby Surround audio tracks in English / French / Spanish / Italian / German, filmographies and French trailer, compared with only 1.85:1 letterboxed transfer and Dolby Surround in English only on the US region 1 disc. the main thing missing from the French disc is Alan Parker's commentary track, at any rate, if yer interested in the best way to watch the movie only, the French disc image is superior. (lacking the distracting artefacts from the US release)
Rupin from San Jose questioned on Bette Midler's Hocus Pocus, which was originally planned to be on Region 1 DVD, but was cancelled with no new date.
At any rate, this may come as good news to ya, Hocus Pocus was released as a Region 2 French disc, and featured not only a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer, but both English / French DD5.1 audio tracks (the English track is a nice one in my opinion), and Italian Dolby surround track.
last but not least, at least for now...
I received an anonymous question on Damian Harris' Deceived which was never released as a Region 1 US disc but was released both as French and German Region 2 discs. the French disc is named : Trahie and features an excellent 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen tranfer along with English/French/Italian Dolby Surround audio tracks and subtitles in both English and German for the hearing impaired.
Take care for now,
More updates a little later.
Omer
omerm.jpg

David Sams

Auditioning
Keith
I'm sure Omer will do a much more detailed search for you but I looked at the various sites I know of and could only find reference to some VHS listings for Tina Arena, no DVD's, sorry, hope Omer has better news for you.
Regards
------------------
DAVID S - "HAIL HAIL THE CELTS ARE HERE"

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Lo again, a few more readers' mails... (will try to add a big update laters if I will find some time).
arizona.jpg

Mike from Delaware requested any information on Johnny Depp's Arizona Dream. Hmmm, okay. so there ya go:
For now, ya can only dream of a Region 1 disc. on the other side of the atlantic ocean, ya can find a French Region 2 disc, which features a very nice and detailed 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen image with both English / French Dolby Surround soundtrack, Production notes (ack, French) and filmos. the major drawback is the irremovable French subtitles, but again, on this case, I found those easy to ignore.
Michael from Chicago sent a question regarding Alan Rudolph's Afterglow. okay, this 1997 title had never been released as a Region 1 disc, but yet again, was released as a French Region 2 disc, which included a very decent 1.66:1 (Original Aspect Ratio) anamorphic transfer along with English / French Dolby Surround audio tracks. on the supplements side ya can find Interviews, Filmographies,
French trailers and a Making Of featurette (English with French subtitles).
Will try to find a little more time to update laters.
Take care,
Omer
omerm.jpg

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
sopranos1.jpg

Hmmm.... for those of ya who asked:
Warner are going to release their first two-disc special edition Region 2 release - Any Given Sunday. The Oliver Stone film will be released on November 27th include behind the scenes documentaries (27 mins), 4 music videos, outtakes, trivia games, screen tests and auditions (25 mins for those two) and deleted scenes (35 mins) with an optional commentary. release will feature 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer and DD5.1 track.
Oh, and Buffy - The Vampire Slayer will be released on November 27th as a Region 2 UK release and will include 3 discs and commentary for the first 2 episodes... the extras, which were rumoured quite a while ago on the DVD-Times, are now confirmed :
Disc one will feature a commentary track by Joss Whedon over the first two episodes (Welcome to Hellmouth and The Harvest), an interview with Joss Whedon and David Boreanaz (Angel), DVD-ROM content including a screensaver and the script for the unaired pilot and a trailer. Disc two will feature the music video 'I Quit' by Hepburn along with a photo gallery. Finally, disc three will feature a selection of biographies running to around 50 pages... Clear now ?! (By the way - Buffy will also be release as a French Region 2 box set a little earlier, on November 15th and will contain 3 discs as well and will feature 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer along with English / French Dolby surround and the same commentary tracks. on the supplements side the French release will feature a booklet, photo gallery, scripts, interviews, a trailer and a music video.)
a few words on the Sopranos:
December 12th will see the Region 1 release of the Sopranos (4 discs box set), I can now confirm the features that were revealed on http://www.dvdreview.com

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, before the upcoming pieces of information, a little clarification ...
The information was gathered from a few 'moles' at both Columbia Tristar and Universal studios, and is subject to change, at any rate, none of the information below is confirmed, but is true indeed.
Anyway, my 'mole' allowed me to reveal the extras that will be included in the upcoming Region 2 release of 'Gladiator', so without further bullshit, there ya go:
Gladiator - 2 disc set:
Disc 1 - Feature Disc:
Anamorphic Widescreen transfer
English Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track
English DTS audio track (Not Confirmed yet, only implied from a mate of mine at the Production team)
Audio Commentary with: Ridley Scott (Director), John Mathieson (Director of Photography), Pietro Scalia (Editor)
Disc 2 - Bonus Disc
24 mins Making Of Gladiator: HBO First Look
25 mins of Deleted scenes with optional Director's Commentary
50 mins Learning Channel Featurette - 'The Bloodsport of a Glaidator'
15 mins interview with Hans Zimmer - 'Scoring a feature'
10 mins Visual EFX featurette
Tribute to Oliver Reed
The Treasure Chest - a 7 minute video montage of deleted footage with Special Score by Hans Zimmer
Photo Gallery
2 Trailers
Production Notes Cast & Crew Bios
Production Journal: 100 pages of photos and journal entries
Another source speculated another extra, but this is less likely to appear in the actual release (one of my sources implied that the Original Storyboards comparisons were planned but may not be released, again, nothing confirmed or denied in this case as well):
* Original Storyboard Comparisons & Conceptual Art
The main issue, in my opinion, is the DTS track... I tried to confirm this information with another source of mine, but got nothing. Will try to update on this as soon as possible.
At any rate, date is still to be announced. (not sure if late November 2000 or January 2001 yet).
Look forward for an update laters.
Take care,
Omer
omerm.jpg

Omer M

Stunt Coordinator
A major update... at least in my opinion.
First things first, something I waited for, a DTS Sleepy Hollow announcement...
The upcoming PFC French release of Sleepy Hollow, will finally supply the long awaited English DTS audio track.
After the plans to release a DTS audio track on the UK release had failed, and the fact that the German release only included a German DTS track, PFC will be releasing a 'Sleepy Hollow - Special Edition' which will be presented with an anamorphic widescreen transfer. The most significant news regarding this release is the audio tracks, which will include English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks as well as both English and French DTS tracks. The extra material will remain all the same as the Region 1 excellent disc and will include Audio Commentary by Tim Burton, the 30 mins making-of featurette, Interviews, filmographies and French trailer. The disc is set for a December 6th release.
Another DTS addition is the PFC French release of American Pie. The disc, which will bring the same cut as the unrated edition of the film, will be presented with an anamorphic widescreen transfer along with both English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS audio tracks. The disc will also feature the Commentary tracks from the US edition of American Pie, a recipe of a true American Pie and Outtakes. The disc will be released on December 7th.
One release I must share but it quite useless for the readers, is the forthcoming DVD release of Taxi 2.
The release which will feature only French Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS track and no English audio track nor subtitles will be presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 with a glorious anamorphic transfer (I sneaked a look at it a few days ago). The release will also feature Interviews with acting cast and director, a 9 mins Making Of featurette, Filmographies, French trailers and Web links. The only missing thing is certainly the lack of English subtitles, shame. This will be released on November 24th.
Take it easy,
Omer.
omerm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks