R1 with no English

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gunnar Syren, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

Recently ordered a copy of Taxi from my favorite Canadian etailer, and was somewhat disappointed and very surprised to find that it was in French only. No English dubbing OR subtitles.

Well, my bad for not reading the specs. I just assumed that all Region 1 releases would have either English dialog or English subtitles.

I assume this was a Canadian only release, but still... Anyone know if there are other such titles?

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Some R1 Canadian releases do not offer English audio or subtitles.

The Amelie tin set comes to mind.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I think that this would just be a surprise for those of us in the States.

As most of the other regions cover a variety of countries, where you would expect that you would need to be careful about what languages are included.

In addition to R1, French language releases, there may be some in Spanish as well. For example, Y tu mama también[./I] is in Spanish with optional English subtitles. As one would expect. But the commentary track is only in Spanish. And no subtitles in English or otherwise.

I don’t know of any R1, Spanish-only DVDs, but they may well exist.

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Some US-R1 DVD don't have subtitles as well: the Image Christiane F. DVD does have a truly awful, beyond bad English dub. but no English subtitles for the original German soundtrack...

Y Tu Mama Tambien is also not the only DVD with missing subtitles on the commentary track, though I bought the R2 UK version which does have subtitles for the commentary. In any event, most such R1 omissions are due to studio incompetence rather than cultural difference (read: Quebec).

Ted

5. ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys Stunt Coordinator

I've seen that DVD of Taxi floating around at a couple of stores up here. I think that they were just manufactured for the Quebec market as there is not any English on the packaging either. Somehow they ended up here in Ontario. Too bad, one store was selling them for 5.00 each but after reading the back of the package, I did not see "anglais" mentioned anywhere, so I had to pass (damn, should have taken French in highschool[​IMG] ).

6. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Spanish-only DVDs are not at all uncommon in certain parts of the States. A number of Wal-Marts in Texas (and presumably other border states) have a selection of Spanish-language DVDs with no English subtitles or audio tracks (and some with them). I imagine that video stores in primarily Hispanic areas would have a similar selection of their own but I've never been in one so I can't say for certain.

7. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't it smack of double standard that those Quebecians insist that all English movies on DVD should be bilingual, but they release French movies monolingual? [​IMG]

8. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter