What's new

R1 Paul verhoeven's Spetters is coming on 11/5 (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Just in from MGM are details on a half dozen new additions to their popular World Films collection, all debuting on 11/5. Leader of the pack is Paul Verhoeven's influential early Dutch effort Spetters, presented for the first time on DVD in its unrated director's cut. The disc includes an anamorphic widescreen transfer, the original Dutch mono mix, an audio commentary with Verhoeven, and the trailer.
------------------------------------------------------------
I am still in shock as I never thought tis would come to R1 and this is a must buy really.
taken from dvdfile ofcourse
:D :D :D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
here is more info on this film
http://www.eonline.com/Facts/Movies/0,60,16075,00.html
Amid the muddy world of motocross, four young people in Holland find themselves on a turbulent collision course with their own dreams and aspirations, encountering violent and sexual revelations along the way. Superbly shot by cinematographer-turned-director Jan De Bont of Speed & Twister fame
Rutger Hauer & Jeroen Krabbe also star in this movie

Randy van Rijn

Auditioning
'Superbly shot by cinematographer-turned-director Jan De Bont of Speed & Twister fame'

Actually... It's superbly shot by cinematographer Jost Vacano, who also worked with Paul Verhoeven on Soldier Of Orange, Robocop, Total Recal, Showgirls, Starship Troopers and Hollw Man. Jan De Bont did cinematography for Turkish Delight, The Fourth Man, Flesh + Blood (is this one ever gonna be on DVD?) and Basic Instinct.

Spetters is a great film though... A not so great thing is that starring actor Hans van Tongeren:

who kills himself in the end of the movie also killed himself in real life, a few years after the movie was released

I got a crappy dutch DVD of this, so I might be picking up the R1 release as well...

Randy

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
I asked about this title a few months back and no one knew a thing... and now it is being released. Excellent!
Maybe I have magical powers? If I ask "when is Flesh + Blood coming to dvd" will it be released too? Hmmm...
When is "Flesh + Blood" coming to dvd? :)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Wow, add this to the "Wishlist." For some reason, I expected this to be an Anchor Bay title--probably because they've released just about every other pre-Hollywood Verhoeven film.
I won't spoil the movie "spoiler," but van Tongeren's suicide in 1982 always saddens me when I watch this or one of the only other films he appeared in, Summer Lovers.
The story of how he appeared in the Randal Kleiser beachfest is kind've funny. Van Tongeren happened to be traveling thru the Greek isles when Summer Lovers was filming. Star Daryl Hannah spotted him on the street during production and, being a big fan of Spetters and his work in it, persuaded him to act in Summer Lovers and a role was tailored for him in the film.
Back to the original post, thank you MGM for Spetters and the commentary.
Jon

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to this greatly; I saw it on release at the local arthouse and loved it. I knew then that Verhoeven was a name to remember. I still have my promo button for Spetters, with the slogan "There is no such thing as simple love" (paraphrase from memory)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
DVDFile called in 'influential'... I don't see how.

Needless to say, thank you very much MGM for making this film available, especially with commentary!

Is this the first time MGM will be releasing a movie on DVD that features on-screen masturbation, etc.?

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Will the director's cut be the same cut that was released on LD by Pioneer/HBO a few years back?
Link Removed
With MGM being a VERY mainstream company, I can't help but wonder if the film will be cut in any way due to the very adult nature of the fully in-view male masturbation/measurement scene, the hardcore oral sex shot in the subway, and the subway rape/sodomy. The director's cut have all of these on the Pioneer/HBO disc. I just can't see MGM putting this out that way knowing it will be on shelves of stores like Best Buy and Circuit City (as well as other mainstream stores) who shy away from hardcore features. I've never seen the uncut Caligula at either of those two stores, only at small mom & pop's.
I also like how they're not using an English title for this.
"Hotshots" is the title's translation on the Pioneer LD, and probably pretty a pretty close English analogy/ approximation/coloquialism to the original language's titles intent. I also saw a dubbed/cut version under this moniker a few years back.
I've also seen it called "Winners" on VHS too, though that translation is way off given the plot of the film.
Either way, something gets lossed in the translation...or better yet, becomes an incredibly ironic twist in the case of "Winners."

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I though Anchor Bay had all the Verhoevens, and was doing a good job with the first three in the collection. I have little faith in MGM when it comes to foreign films, they've screwed up most of the titles I was most waiting for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks