What's new

R U playing format pong??? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lately I feel like I'm playing format pong. With so many formats to choose from, what's a mother to do?;)

CD
Vinyl
SACD
DVD-A
DVD-V

R U having trouble sleeping? Do you stay up late pondering which albums in which format/s that you might buy? Do you suffer from Format Anxziety Syndrome? R U having trouble concentrating because audible distortion just won't leave U alone? If so, then you too may be suffering from Format Pong. :crazy: In laymen's terms, what to buy in what format and who might release it just keeps bouncing around your brain....:confused: :crazy:

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Well, I don't have an SACD player yet. BUT, I always buy SACD Hybrids over CD's (same title) and DVD-A over SACD. If I had an SACD player it would be SACD over CD. I have a ton of CD's to play in my car, so having a few titles that couldn't travel is not a big thing.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I pinged the RIAA right back...

I fixed up my old turntable and bought a new cartidge this past weekend.

Thank God I took excellent care of my albums over the years.

Aside from a little surface noise, they sound warmer than the digital tunage I've been listening to for 15 years.

It was a lot easier than I thought to get a new cartridge. FYI for anyone else thinking about the resurrection; you will probably need at least a new stylus.

Great fun listening to all the music I haven't heard in sooo long.:)

RIAA... bought and paid for long ago with my paper route money. Chiao.

TomCW

Second Unit
I'm not losing any sleep deciding 'which' format to buy, but I am getting eye-strain looking for SACD releases of music that I like! The few indie releases that are out are a real breath of fresh air.

Tom

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Amen Tom!:) ...unless you like jazz and/or classical, then SACD is a candy store. I'm in a mood for blues, rock, and alt. kuntry lately...so AMEN again!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
For me it's easy. I listen to classical music, so it's redbook CD and SACD when available. And of course DVD-V for opera. Heck I got rid of vinyl back circa 1994.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Racheal, you need that new $12k laser-based vinyl turntable (reviewed this months Stereophile). Sounds waaaaaaaaay cool, kinda like Hi-Vision for audio, no b.s. codecs to mess with.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I phased out cassettes turned the good ones to cd, same with the black discs. Cept the space gets takin over by lds.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Brian, I have a link to the Nipponese site for the laser turntable. Last time I looked there were three models. I want one but I don't wanna have to trade my car for one! I'd proably stille have to throw in some cash too!:) If I had one I wouldn't be playing format pong. I'd be buying $1, or less, records. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Rachael,

I have two of three hirez formats - DVDA and SACD about 70% of the time. I'm still working on the vinyl format. Too much good software to miss on LP for me to be satisfied with digital only.

With the remaining 30% of time, I listen to redbook and I find the Sony SCD777ES does that very well.

Some CDs like Naked Songs can sound fantastic due to the recording and mastering. I do usually find the SACD versions are a step above the redbook.

:)

John Watson

Screenwriter
The proliferation of meaningless (to most) acronyms doesn't help at all. Our high tech life is so full of incompatible formats and hardwares, that I think most people just plug and pray.

What the hell is DVD-V I see referred to in another music thread?

I believe the original disks (cd's, circa early 1980's) should have been called Music Disks (MD's), the disks with video should have been called Video Disks (VD's - and they should have been a ½" wider so you could see the difference in looking at them:D).

And noticing that the Canadian release of Let It Be Naked is not compatible with many computer processes, I have to point out the legal ambivalence in that we Canadians apparently already pay a tax on blank media to compensate (some?) artists for copying, so EMI is preventing legal activity.

Who's zooming whom!?!?

PS - I wish I could buy working wind-up Victrolas, so even when the power finally goes off, I may still be able to spin a few vinyl platters :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks