-r, -rw, -ram /+r, +rw, +ram

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BenS, Sep 30, 2004.

1. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

What is the differance in the +/-?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Different format. I'm sure there are technical arguments for the superiority of one over the other, but for all practical purposes, they're just different ways of writing the same data to a disc.

Note that there is no +/- difference for DVD-RAM. It's a separate format, and there's only one version.

M.

3. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

So I guess my second question will be. When I look at dvd burners and one says the following "Not all DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/+RW discs are compatible with all DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/+RW players. Contact the manufacturer for further compatibility information". How is this possible is there not one standard format that all players record and play? What this tells me is that if I record + format on my recorder and my buddy wants to borrow my disc it might not play on his recorder even if he has the same + format on his recorder. Also will a player that records - format play + formats and vice versa?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

No, there's all the various formats you listed. As far as players go, each one has its own list of compatible formats. You have to check each player for what formats it can handle.

As far as discs go, there's a wide variation in the quality and tolerances of blank media. Some brands of media just won't work with some recorders (or players). That's why you'll find so many threads like the one stuck to the top of this forum where people report their experiences with various brands of media.

M.

5. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Once you have bought the burner, find one media (preferably cheap) that works with your burner. When you burn, use the lowest speed possible as this makes a huge difference in how playable your discs are going to be.

I have two burners on my computer, the other is an old Pioneer that will only burn 2x and the other is a newer 8x (forgot the model). I still use the Pioneer at 1x for all my DVD burning as it will give me a working disc 99% of the time while with the 8x it is a matter of luck.

I have installed several of these 4x or 8x cheapo burners, different models, on my friends computers and none of them work very well. Most will burn a disc without problems but if it is a movie it will have hard time playing on any of the standalone players and sometimes even with the burner itself. My advice is to find a quality burner and skip on the cheapos as you will save the extra money back when you're not wasting blank discs.

- or +, I started using - and have tried it with +. I still use - as for me it has worked much better than +. None of my standalone players were happy with the + format, they supported it but most of the time refused to play a + disc. Could have been that the burner I was using was one of the cheapos and not the Pioneer that only burns - discs.