R.i.p. Tw Sa Hd Pvr #2!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tom McA, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

That enough acronyms for ya?

I'm having the WORST time with my Time Warner HD service! Over the past 6-ish months, I've had service techs at my house 3 times due to signal dropouts, lurching picture, blocking, etc. Every time, they hook up their signal strength analyzer, then say the levels coming to my house are too high, too low, they need to install amplifiers, filters, attenuators, etc. (One amp they wanted to use was a powered unit with a wire snaking to a wall wart on my back porch. That was attractive!) Each time it's something different. They've also re-run new cable from the house to the pole and cut and re-terminated all of said cables repeatedly.

Meanwhile, our second Scientific Atlanta 8000HD bit the dust last night, with less than a month's use on it. As with the first one, when I tried to bring up my list of recorded programs, I got an error message saying "There may be a problem with your hard drive. Reboot, and if the problem persists, call 1-800..." My wife is particularly furious because she had several weeks' worth of BBC America's "Mystery Monday" episodes stacked up.

Setting aside my wife's fetish for moody British detectives, is anyone else out there having better or similar luck with these bozos as me?

/rant

(If you haven't seen it already, check out www.mypvrsucks.com ) heh.

2. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

You are not alone!!! I'm on my third box and I can't wait for Time Warner to get the 8300HD model, if they ever release them in SO CA.

Whenever you get that hard drive error, you want to reboot the system. Either turning off the DVR, by holding down the power button on the DVR, waiting till the time on the box disappears. The reboot takes a few minutes.

You can also do a hard reboot by unplugging the DVR from the wall, waiting about 10 seconds and plugging it back in and let it reboot. This will start the hard drive over again and hopefully get you back to your saved shows.

What do you mean that your signal drops out? Can you not watch TV at all, or does it drops out on a random channel and get a gray screen?

I'm getting a gray screen on some random channel.

3. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Also, try not to have more than a week worth of shows at a time. This will cause space issue on the hard drive. Try to delete the watched shows as much as possible.

4. MikeHerbst

MikeHerbst Stunt Coordinator

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with the SciAtlanta boxes, but MORE THAN ONE WEEK OF SHOWS causes problems?

WEAK!

Even before upgrading our TiVos, we routinely had MONTHS of shows backed up. (Wife likes to record movies "just in case" we ever watch them...).

5. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

According to the tech, once you have that "hour" glass showing on how many days you have left until the show gets deleted, it means that you have less then 10% of space on the drive. I assume that this is the case if you never delete any of your shows ever.

SA8000HD is a poor box. It gets too hot and crash.

When the box is working, it works like a champ. My first box lated about two months. My second box lasted for three weeks and who know when my current box will die.

I can't wait when they offer the 8300 model.

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

The 8300HD are out for Time Warner in Orange County. Its a better box. You can now search for keyword/title when setting up recordings on the DVR. The box is smaller and quieter.

If you live in OC and have Time Warner, you can go to the cable store and pickup an 8300.

7. Tom McA

Good to know. Thanks, Tim. The tech who brought me 8000HD #3 said that the 8300's would be coming to the SF Valley eventually. So far, #3 seems to be hanging in there. If it goes belly-up (and if the past is a guide, it's already on borrowed time...), I'll be sure to ask for an 8300.

Do you know if it's true that the 8300 may have some built-in home-networking features, like streaming recorded shows to other 8000-series boxes in a home? That would seriously rock.

8. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

SA is coming out with a multi room DVR that does the same thing that you described. I don't know when Time Warner will have it. I haven't heard anyone that has it yet.

9. Tom McA

Aaaaand goodbye #3! Last weekend, the hard drive started making a hammering sound that was WAY louder than the usual HD chatter. Picture on all HiDef as well as standard def channels started blocking badly, and all functions slowed waaaay down.

This time, they had 8300HD's available, and I got one of those. Here's hoping they're more reliable than the 8000's.

10. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Since they upgraded me to the 8300, no problems!!! I've had the same box since Feb.

Good leck.