R.I.P Rutger Hauer

noel aguirre

Supporting Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
noel
Well, this sucks. I'm probably in the (significant) minority here, and he certainly had a terrific career. But his role that means the most to me is Kingsley on Galavant. He only did three episodes, but he was great and his presence really shook up that show.

View attachment 61041
Oh Galavant- why aren’t thee on Blu-ray?
If ever a show deserves......

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Dan
When the national news transmission started, yesterday, with the Time to Die scene, I realized of course that Rutger Hauer must have passed away.

A bit too young, and certainly too early.

That scene was typical for his professional him in many ways: not just how commanding, precisely and effective he played it, but also because he actually rewrote the words himself the night before the shoot. He wanted to make the character step forward in his death, as he explained it later ("I was hoping to come up with one line where Roy, because he understands he has very little time, expresses one bit of the DNA of life that he’s felt. How much he liked it. Only one life."). Of course the last line of that scene became iconic, and so did the whole scene. .

He was much liked and appreciated in our country (where he was born and now died). In the sixties he was the lead in a TV-series for kids (Floris). I was just "too old" then, but my brothers and sister all followed it weekly.
When the whole series was retransmitted during the late eighties, all classmates of my daughter, without an exception I believe, were weekly watching it. He played a young knight, more than a few in her school had a crush on him.

Although not all movies he was in were, well, stellar (the available choices possibly also a bit of a disadvantage of not being a flawlessly English speaking born Englishman or American around the Hollywood scene), I don't remember a less than strong-to-stellar performance of Rutger Hauer himself. His character was often a dominant type, which he played effortlessly.
If he was lucky and the movie appeared to be great, he was noticed and remembered.

He is mourned by his wife and daughter - and by all of his fans and us movie lovers.
The days to come, I myself will certainly play several of films he was in. But a few I yearly do already - they belong to the top favourites of mine.

May Rutger Hauer indeed Rest In Peace.

Cees
One more good one gone! May he RIP.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frugalfart