R.I.P Rutger Hauer (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
full

https://variety.com/2019/film/obitu...ead-dies-blade-runner-co-star-1203278050/amp/

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Soldier of Orange, Spetters, Katje Tippel, Turkish Delight, The Legend of the Holy Drinker; and then, of course, that lovely film of romantic longing marred by a horrible soundtrack: Ladyhawke.
RIP, dear repllcant, more human than most human beings.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Flesh + Blood. Damn he had some attitude! I'm total opposite. That's why I liked Burke from Dark Shadows so much. Mitchell Ryan kicked! Hauer would have been excellent as Burke too had he been a little older. I like that character better than barnadas! lol

Yeah, he made Hobo worth watching. Just ordered the blu (with Airplane 1 and 2 blu set) from ebay. yeah! My old dvd of Hobo was used from goin outta biz sale video store. it skipped a few times.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I couldn't have been more shocked when I logged onto the net this afternoon. Very sad loss to the industry. Enjoyed him in so many of his roles, and he was SUCH an effective villain in Nighthawks.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, this sucks. I'm probably in the (significant) minority here, and he certainly had a terrific career. But his role that means the most to me is Kingsley on Galavant. He only did three episodes, but he was great and his presence really shook up that show.

Kingley.jpg

Reactions: PMF

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Even in smaller roles, captivated your attention, thank you for your craft and entertaining us. Unfortunately I got the memo. Prayers for his family and friends and may He rest in peace.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Somewhat shocked to hear the news of his passing. RIP Mr. Hauer.

Since it hasn't been mentioned in the thread so far, I'll list Blind Fury as one of my favorite B films. Hauer really sells the quirky sensibility of this film and makes for a very engaging protagonist. Not a great film by any means, but it sure is a fun one.

- Walter.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
So very sad, one of my favorite actors. Unforgettable in The Hitcher, Fatherland, and of course, Blade Runner. RIP

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Mr. Hauer had a small role in the Wilby Conspiracy as well, a very good film. Also liked him in Hobo With a Shotgun. I just looked up his filmography and didn't realize he was in Samson which I just watched recently.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
When the national news transmission started, yesterday, with the Time to Die scene, I realized of course that Rutger Hauer must have passed away.

A bit too young, and certainly too early.

That scene was typical for his professional him in many ways: not just how commanding, precisely and effective he played it, but also because he actually rewrote the words himself the night before the shoot. He wanted to make the character step forward in his death, as he explained it later ("I was hoping to come up with one line where Roy, because he understands he has very little time, expresses one bit of the DNA of life that he’s felt. How much he liked it. Only one life."). Of course the last line of that scene became iconic, and so did the whole scene. .

He was much liked and appreciated in our country (where he was born and now died). In the sixties he was the lead in a TV-series for kids (Floris). I was just "too old" then, but my brothers and sister all followed it weekly.
When the whole series was retransmitted during the late eighties, all classmates of my daughter, without an exception I believe, were weekly watching it. He played a young knight, more than a few in her school had a crush on him.

Although not all movies he was in were, well, stellar (the available choices possibly also a bit of a disadvantage of not being a flawlessly English speaking born Englishman or American around the Hollywood scene), I don't remember a less than strong-to-stellar performance of Rutger Hauer himself. His character was often a dominant type, which he played effortlessly.
If he was lucky and the movie appeared to be great, he was noticed and remembered.

He is mourned by his wife and daughter - and by all of his fans and us movie lovers.
The days to come, I myself will certainly play several of films he was in. But a few I yearly do already - they belong to the top favourites of mine.

May Rutger Hauer indeed Rest In Peace.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks