1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. Robert Quine

Discussion in 'Music' started by Iver, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Guitarist extraordinaire Robert Quine was found dead in his New York apartment this past Saturday.

It's most likely you will know him from the incendiary guitar riffs which open up Matthew Sweet's "Ugly Truth Rock" single from Altered Beast. Quine also played on Sweet's "Girlfriend" single, as well as the rest of the Girlfriend album.

Quine was one of the few original followers of the Velvet Underground. In 1969 he made cassette recordings of the band in San Francisco and in Saint Louis. These were released a couple of years ago as Velvet Underground Bootleg Series Volume 1: The Quine Tapes.

In the 1970's, Quine played in the Voidoids, appearing on their Blank Generation recording which many consider one of the classics of the punk era. He has also played on the recordings of downtown artists James Chance and Lydia Lunch, as well as appearing, over the years, on many other artists' releases.

In the early 1980's, Quine had the honor of playing with Lou Reed on several of his albums, including Reed's brilliant comeback recording The Blue Mask. Quine also toured with Reed and appears on Reed's record Live in Italy from 1984.

There will be a memorial for Quine at Carmine Street Guitars at noon this coming Saturday.

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Goddamn it.

I'm going to listen to Blank Generation.

3. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Don't put it off a minute longer! There's only one song on the entire three-disc set which I'd call "filler," and that is "Follow the Leader." But it is interesting, thematically, as the only VU song to mention Jersey City[​IMG]

It looks like this so-called bootleg may, despite the implications of the name, be a one-off. There probably isn't another tape like Quine's lurking around.

The highest-quality live recording ever made of the band, actually taped on a professional reel-to-reel deck, became The Velvet Underground, Live 1969.

There's also another record made from an audience cassette recording, which you probably know if you have the Quine CD, and that is Live at Max's Kansas City.

There are other bootlegs, some made while Cale was still in the band. On the box set (Peel Slowly and See) there's a long live piece, from an Ohio show in 1966, called something like "Manic Laughter" and that gives you an idea of the quality of some of the boots (the track comes from a bootleg).

There are also bootlegs from the many performances the Velvets did at a place on Charles Street in Boston called The Boston Tea Party.

I really don't know how this Quine set sold. That will probably have some influence on future releases. It probably sold better than the band's recordings did on initial release (the best they ever did was their debut, which peaked at 167 on the Billboard Top 200 album chart -- but all the original records ended up, by the 1980's, handily surpassing their original sales levels).

Also, Quine brought his tapes to Universal as a complete package. There may be legal issues involving the other bootlegs that have been produced over the years.

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Quine also did phenomanal work with John Zorn. Press has said this was a suicide by overdose. Much more important to me than the other "big" death recently.