What's new

R.I.P. Layne Staley (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
It is being reported on my local radio station that Alice in Chains frontman, Layne Stayley, has been found in his home. Accroding to the reports, the Police say that he had passed away a few days ago.
This is a sad day for music. Layne was one of the greatest singers in music and he threw it all away because of heroin. Layne has always been one of my favorites and he was also one of the most wasted talents ever. His singing ability was incredible and it was sad to see him waste it because of drug abuse.
May you Rest In Peace. Your fans will miss you.
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
-Dean-
NP: Alice in Chains - Dirt

Dan B

Screenwriter
Noooooo...Oh man this is sad news. :frowning:
I'm speechless...I was very into Alice in Chains in the early-mid 90's & Layne rocked me. Damn it.
-Dan B
NP: Mad Season - Above

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
NOOOOOO. I just heard yesterday that his solo album is coming out soon. I'm so sorry to hear that. WOW. I don't really even know what to say, I'm in shock.
Story
I'm going to pull out all the albums and listen to them today, including Mad Season.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Loneliness, it shadows me

Quicker than darkness

Crawls to the surface of my skin

Visibly surrounded by it

Black is all I feel, so this is how it feels to be free

Surrounded by empty souls

Artificial courage used

And because so once was mine

I walk this maze alone

The man's beside himself

Man's below himself

Man's behind himself

Am I inside my self

Chaos and hate shadow me

Pain it fills me up

Only one thing makes me feel

Missing better half of me

Man's beside himself

Man's below himself

Man's behind himself

Am I inside my self

NP: SAP

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
"I wrote about drugs, and I didn't think I was being unsafe or careless by writing about them," he told the magazine. "Here's how my thinking pattern went: When I tried drugs, they were (expletive) great, and they worked for me for years, and now they're turning against me — and now I'm walking through hell, and this sucks."
Wow, what a sad quote. I always hoped he'd beat the addiction.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Whoa, this is sad. AIC has been one of my favorite bands since they first came out. I had always held out some hope that he'd kick the H and get back to making music with Cantrell and the rest of AIC.

Sad news indeed.

Carl

NP: Jar of Flies

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't listened to them in a long time, but the other day I popped "Dirt" in the CD-player, and I was reminded of what a great CD it is.
I had read (here on the HTF Music forum, I believe) a while ago about Staley coming out with a solo album soon, and listening to "Dirt" got me excited about it.
I was very sad to read the news about him passing away. My thoughts are with his family and friends, and I thank him for being a part in bringing some great music to the world.
:frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning:
/Mike

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not too many other artists have moved me as much with their lyrics. It is not uncommon that these types of people are heavily emotionally pained, and Layne certainly had a lot going on inside his heart and his head.

Something that stuck with me the first time I heard it is from the track "River of Deceit" from the Mad Season album "Above":

"My pain is self chosen,

At least I believe it to be"

NP: Mad Season - Above

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Into the flood again, same old trip it was back then
So I made a big mistake, try to see it once my way
Am I wrong? Have I run too far to get home?
Have I gone? Left you here alone?
If I would, could you?

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/News...ley/index.html
This is terrible news-if indeed it is Layne (the CNN article says the body was so decomposed they are going to dental records for ID). I am a huge AIC fan, I went through college during the "Seattle Sound" / Grunge era and a lot of that music helped get me through the toughest times in my growing-up period. This strikes me more deeply than when we lost Kurt, because I felt like AIC's music spoke to me. Granted I wasn't a drug addict, but there are other addictions in life, and AIC's music was applicable to all such abuses.
If it is you, old friend, Rest in Peace, and may you finally find it.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Damn.

AIC was my favorite band. I was hoping that Staley would overcome his demons and get back to making kick-ass music with his bandmates. Now it will never happen.

I was in college during the grunge-explosion. I have very fond memories of those times. Along with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Screaming Trees, and Mudhoney, they were an instrumental part of my life then.

Rest in peace Layne

StevenW

Second Unit
Shit :frowning:
He was one of my favorite singers of all time :frowning:
RIP Layne :frowning: :frowning:

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
This sucks. What a wasted talent. I thought it might come to this, but I was hoping that it wouldn't happen.

Heroin. Why?

I'm gonna play AIC all day today.

Rest in peace, Layne. You will be missed.

NP: Alice in Chains (self-titled)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I loved Alice In Chains. They were real quality band. Shame that Layne threw his life away so young.

JohnG

NP: Queen/A Night At The Opera/ DVDA

Massive Attack/ Protection

BOC/ debut

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
RIP Staley... "And we die young..."

NS (now singing... away from my dorm for the weekend): every aic song i can think of

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
The marathon continues.

After a very depressing listen to Mad Season, I move on with Dirt.

Apparently, it's confirmed by the coroner. Heroin overdose.

My thoughts:

Stay away from the junk. It's just not worth it. I don't care how good it makes you feel. Toughen up and quit. Hopefully nobody on here is into it, or thinking about it.

Never touched the stuff, myself. I stick with the herb.

I'm getting more and more upset by this tragedy as the day wears on. It's just too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks