1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. for Disney 2-D Animation?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dick, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

I don't think Disney is realizing the core of the problem with it's animation division: bad writing. Treasure Planet was an entertaining movie in it's own right, but the awkward mismatch of genre's made the story damn near incomprehensible. Pixar is a winner because it's films have a magic and age defying charm, not to mention simplicity, that Disney seems to have lost (or at least misplaced). Pixar (from what I can tell) is a big party where everybody loves to go. This spirit is evident in Pixar's movies. Disney, on the other hand, feels like any other big corporation where money means more than creativity and quality, and it shows. And when Pixar dumps Disney (which they seem certian to do), the situation for the mouse will be even worse.

2. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    When did they discontinue the re-release policy on Disney's animated films?

This is the first that I have heard of it.

This is a disaster because I don't think the Disney execs realize that when they first re-released Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs way back in 1944, about seven years after it first came out, that Disney was dying financially, and this gamble of re-releasing his only commercial success could've destroyed the studio once and for all. But thankfully, it was a hit and it kept playing. The reason the policy even started was because Walt Disney realized that animated films don't date and that was how the practice was started.

Eisner should be kicked out of Disney and never return. Where he should go is Paramount, that place he started from. He'd be much more comfortable there and wouldn't have to worry about overguarding the prized films that have made Disney the company that it is today. 2-D animation just seems more realistic when hand drawn. That was what made the first animated films the classics that they are. 3-D animation might replace it, but I prefer it hand-drawn. Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are great examples of how good hand-drawn animation can make a movie great. Especially the latter, because it was filmed in 70MM widescreen, and the former, because all the hard work payed off, and for both, they are just wonderful to look at.

To take away the re-release ploicy makes me wish that Walt Disney was frozen, so we could unthaw him to save his studio from Eisner, who is turning it into a loser of an empire. But we all know that that will never happen.

BTW, can somebody tell me when and why the re-release policy was cancelled? As I said before, I had no idea of this until I read this thread, and I think it's heartbreaking. Why?

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yeah, I actually thought the ANIMATION in Treasure Planet was good stuff, one of the film's better aspects in fact. I didn't think that film was a hard miss, just not quite on target in the writing.

Also, I think the concept was perhaps better as an idea than as a film. Really, I was wondering the whole time why they didn't just make it a traditional version of the story, but I suppose at the time Disney realized that traditional pirate films don't sell...then apparently they realized otherwise in time to get POTC out the door and into one of the top BO spots for the year. [​IMG]

And let's not forget that Disney already started knocking around the idea of RE-DOING all their classics in a 3-D animation format. Frankly thinking about that and then adding this move in really makes my stomach turn.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Actually, the IMAX rereleases have been financial disasters as well. The only reason that there will be one next year is because work has already been completed on it. I think it's ALADDIN. Can't recall at the moment. Anyway, after that you won't see anymore IMAX releases.

6. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

Sad....
    I find CGI animation to be oddly cold and sterile. There have been several CGI flicks that I really enjoyed ( Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Ice Age ), but none of them have really made a big impact on me the same way as many 2D animated movies have. Compare a CGI feature to the lush animation of Bluth's 'The Secret of NIMH'. There's no comparison. Would 'My Neighbour Totoro', 'The Last Unicorn' or 'Pinocchio' be as effective if rendered in CGI? I doubt it. There's something magical about 2D animation which just doesn't carry to CGI. I'd hate to see traditional animation die [​IMG]

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Miyazaki-san will never let Ghibli stop doing 2-D

I do hope that it's true that he's going to direct a film for Pixar after he's finished with Howl's Moving Castle. Mmmm, the greatest living (Supa)Geniuses in animation merging intellects

*Homer drool*