What's new

R.I.P. David Cassidy (1950-2017) (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My mother saw him in concert in Norfolk, VA during his Partridge Family days. About 30 years later she and I went to Norfolk to see Petula Clark, who just turned 85, in a concert taped for PBS where among her set list was "Tell Me It's Not True" from the Willy Russell musical Blood Brothers. She, of course, did it on Broadway with David and Shaun Cassidy as her sons, who performed the song themselves for Regis and Kathie Lee.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
He's had a tough go of it for a long time now. One of his DWI cases was nearby to me. Long family history of dementia, and he was diagnosed with it earlier this year. So as horrible as it is to die at 67, at least he's spared the long terrible road of losing his faculties.

Definitely a heartthrob and icon of his era.

His daughter Katie is a series regular on "Arrow" and was at Heroes & Villains Fan Fest in Atlanta with most of the cast when she got the news.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What can you say about David Cassidy?

Some things are better sung than spoken, especially when joined by someone else who just left us way too soon.*

*And just for the record, I can't find an emoji for "crying uncontrollably."

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Have childhood memories of watching The Partridge Family. May he rest in peace.
You beat me to it---I didn't think to look in this forum so I posted a memorial thread in the "music" forum early this morning. I guess it depends on whether you think of him as more of a tv star/actor or musician (I guess I've always thought of him more as a musician). In any case, he really was the definitive "teen idol." I feel like the term was invented for him.

It seems very surreal that David Cassidy is dead. I can't seem to wrap my head around it.
He had a lot of struggles and I hope he's at peace now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Antenna TV did some sort of memorial marathon in the near future, since they show Partridge re-runs on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Alberto_D

BANNED
Showbiz it's a machine of fame but also a machine to eat people. It's too sad to see how talents are destroyed, lifes destroyed.

While stars, cellebrities and singers from the past were in generall more talented, like David, today they are manytimes just somone media promoted, and often got forgotten easier. This turns things even more dangerous today. The Disney star of today, for example, have risk of became the Lindsay Lohan from future.

Looking this video and others... :

...iteresting to note how in early 70's most people still looked like human beings, speaking from a conservator side, with few prejudice. While today people look much individualist, in way of dress and look or with weirdos...
I told this was a prejudice, but makes us think about somehow, how things changed without necessarily make the world better. The "profile stars of times changes" in general got sad ends, even the nice guys like David.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
David, Suzanne Crough and Dave Madden are all gone now.

In a strange twist, David died the same day "I Think I Love You" hit #1 on Billboard in 1970.

You think that's strange, Suzanne Crough died on my birthday.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That coincidence makes me think of that line from the movie Con Air where someone made a joke "We make the Manson* family look like The Partridge Family."

*I mentioned upthread how Suzanne Crough my birthday, April 27. That was also the birthday of Jack Klugman of The Odd Couple, which was on the same night. He later did a show with John Stamos called You Again; the cancellation of that and Webster enabled the rise of Full House, whose producer, Jeff Franklin, used to live in the Manson house.

Last edited:

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I found the A&E special to be just heart-breaking. There seems to be some controversy now over whether it was exploitative, because we're essentially watching someone dying, and David was not aware of how dire his situation was when he signed on. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Either way, though, it was very, very sad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks