R.I.P. Darrell Russell (NHRA Top Fule)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Marque D, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

ESPN: Dragster breaks up at 300 mph
    Gateway crash kills drag race
    [​IMG]
    I don't think I see much NHRA talk here on the board but this evening the world of motorsports lost Top Fuel Driver Darrell Russell after a tire came apart on the top end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Godspeed, Russell is the first driver to lose his life at a NHRA national event since Elmer Trett and Blaine Johnson at Indy in 1996. I must say aside from the fire which didn't go out, I thought he was going to pull through. It some why resembled Larry Dixon's tire blowout from last year. The time Tony Schumacher had the crash where he flipped over the wall and all that was left over was the cockpit. My heart stopped watching that, I was numb. My prayers are with the Russell family and the whole Amato Racing organization. [​IMG]

mod could you correct the spelling of Fuel for me, thanks

2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I don't follow NHRA at all; I occassionaly watch NASCAR and Indy. I saw the crash on ESPNews and it was horrorifying to see the cockpit come apart and then burst into flames. I know Darrel and Dale and other drivers are talking to each other in the big pit lane in the sky.

3. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Horrific crash, but I really thought it was survivable. It will be interesting to see what the post-mortem has to say.

My thoughts go out to his wife, Julie, and all of Amato racing. What a blow.

R.I.P Darrell. [​IMG]

Rob

4. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

"It's not a tragedy to die doing something that you love."

5. Marque D

6. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Hmm...That didn't seem too bad from the video. That was a pretty short fire that looks like the fire suit should have been able to handle, but I'm no expert. The car seemed to glance off of the wall.

7. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Ugh its times like this that I question why I am a motorsports fan (although I do not follow the NHRA.)

Watching replays of the crash, although there was no huge impact, it looked extremely nasty to me especially the debris flying in all directions following the tire blowing. With that and the fire and hitting the wall in the worst possible orientation there are any number of things that could have gone wrong despite the safety measures. [​IMG]

8. Marque D

I think parts of the car and engine went into the cockpit. I’m not for sure about the fire, there was a yellow smoke and I don't know what type of chemical cause that. It may have been the nitro but from what I understand a lot of the fires are due to oil and not necessarily nitro methane since you can hardly see it.

I know that Darrell had just got a new car for the Columbus race. They may never know but there could have been a chassis malfunction because usually you can catch the tire exploded in other crashes. But in this one I don't really see it.

9. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yeah, that's true..I didn't think about the debris....