What's new

R.I.P Chris Cornell (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
All of my heroes are dying. RIP Chris. I was fortunate enough to see him many times with Soundgarden (in the 90s and when they reformed recently), Audioslave and solo. Let me just say, he was the real thing. In the age of "vocal guide tracks" and Pro Tools enhancements, the man could go up with a solo acoustic guitar and mic and hold an audience in thrall.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/entertainment/chris-cornell-dead/index.html

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Regardless of how he died, may he rest in peace.

** Playing Badmotorfinger and Birth Ritual **
(The latter was my favorite Soundgarden song).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Cornell was an amazing musician with one of the most versatile, powerful, and unique voices ever to grace a stage. Another tragic death!!!!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hey Alf I followed your link and just saw your thread, but I'm hoping to keep this one here. He was a musician first and foremost, and I'd like to keep this in Music.

Coincidentally I have a day off of work today. My neighbors will mark his passing whether they want to or not. It's going to be all Chris, all day. Loud.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
IMG_8130.JPG

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of how he died, may he rest in peace.

** Playing Badmotorfinger and Birth Ritual **
(The latter was my favorite Soundgarden song).
And now you see your crime, for every miracle, add another drug at every birth RITUAL!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Gut punch. Early word was it might have been a suicide. Crazy after what was reported to be an amazing concert last night. Depression kills. It hides and it cheats. It sucks!!!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The first time I came across Soundgarden, was from a then-gf who was into less popular punk/metal type music.

At the time she dragged me along to a concert which had a then-unknown Soundgarden playing on the bill. (This was before grunge became very popular). I thought they sounded like a then-modern version of Black Sabbath with better singing.

At the time, I was getting bored of listening to crappy hairspray metal and Metallica/Slayer type clones. I picked up whatever Soundgarden albums that I could find at the time, and have been listening to them ever since.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Paid my respects today, in person. Thought I'd share, for those who are interested. It was a beautiful day for him to have visitors, the weather was perfect. There were a steady stream of about 20-30 people at all times visiting his grave. I took this first shot from an angle so as to crop out the others.
Xb7iAIe.jpg

And for those who know Hollywood Forever Cemetery, he is buried in the Garden of Legends, which of course got a temporary fan-made makeover that I just had to take a shot of:
jfL9e67.jpg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I get what you mean, Travis. My friend who went with me is a native Seattleite (is that the term?) and apparently "A Sound Garden" (the art installation from which they drew their name) is just "down the block" from her parents house. I may have to make a pilgrimage at some point.

Real Name
Jeff Hutchison
I've said for years that with the possible exception of Geoff Tate (Queensryche), Cornell was probably the best rock vocalist of our generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks