What's new

R.I.P. Brian Dennehy (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And once again they have to announce that it wasn't covid related.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I loved him in "Silverado." Actually, everyone in that movie is excellent, even a very young Jake Kasdan.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
His presence in a low-rent film never made me think he was slumming. Instead, it always made me think the film a much bigger deal than I'd imagined. But in the back of my mind, I'd be anxious that he was only doing a walk-on, a brief supporting-turn. I'd hold my breath, worried his time onscreen wouldn't last because somehow the filmmakers would know they weren't worthy of him. It was always a relief and a comfort when he stayed in a movie to the end.

My best friend growing up would regularly, out of the blue, proclaim that Brian Dennehy was, pound-for-pound, America's Greatest Actor™. That next viewing of Tommy Boy is going to be rough.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
One of my favourite actors for a long time already.

I first saw him in 10, a film sort of loaded with great actors and which made Bo Derek famous. In fact it wasn't a great film really, but Brian Dennehy was a bartender I never forgot.
That appeared to be his typical and very precise acting style: unobtrusive, yet unforgettable, quiet, yet very present in the scenes he was in, and somehow humorous rather often and unexpected.

I regret not having been able to see him on stage. Glad on the other hand to have seen many films he was in since, of course: Gorky Park, Cocoon, Silverado and so on. Always just that extra.

Thanks mr. Dennehy, please rest in peace.

Cees

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
On Broadway in O'Neill's Long Day's Journey into Night, alongside Vanessa Redgrave, Robert Sean Leonard and the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. An unforgettable experience witnessing a great quartet of actors in tune. As Bob Hope sang...

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I liked him in F/X- his performance as the detective who did things his way no matter what people thought was outstanding. Fun film to watch. RIP, Brian.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Sad news about BD. He definitely had an "everyman" quality that really fit the roles he played. He was in a lot of great films, including of course Tommy Boy, F/X, Cocoon, Silverado, First Blood, Presumed Innocent, Gorky Park, etc.

However, my favorite role of his was in the little-known The Belly of an Architect (Peter Greenaway, 1987). Very bizarre, disturbing, and twisted film. Dennehy plays an architect who is married to a much younger woman, and is slowly losing his mind & his health as he works on an exhibition in Rome.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Sad news about BD. He definitely had an "everyman" quality that really fit the roles he played. He was in a lot of great films, including of course Tommy Boy, F/X, Cocoon, Silverado, First Blood, Presumed Innocent, Gorky Park, etc.

However, my favorite role of his was in the little-known The Belly of an Architect (Peter Greenaway, 1987). Very bizarre, disturbing, and twisted film. Dennehy plays an architect who is married to a much younger woman, and is slowly losing his mind & his health as he works on an exhibition in Rome.

The Belly of an Architect deserves to be widely known. Dennehy shines in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks