What's new

R.E.M.'s "Document" coming to DVD-audio on Jan. 28th (1 Viewer)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
After several days of enjoying "Automatic" in glorious hi-rez surround, I'm glad to learn that R.E.M.'s second-best album:) will be coming early next year. Now if only I could find that elusive vinyl repressing...

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

Where did you see this information posted? I will be picking up this disc whenever it is released. I am hoping we get the entire Warner R.E.M. catalog on DVD-A when it is all said and done. Warner is doing a good job with keeping quality rock titles coming out on DVD-A.

J

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Would this be from Capitol-EMI (I can't remember who owns the IRS catalog now). If so, I typically like the way they approach DVD-audio better than WB. Of course, that's becasue I don't have a DVD-Audio player of my own, and they typically make a 24 bit 96KHz 2.0 stereo track available on the DVD-video program. :)
Regards,

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Reveal. Automatic. Document. Now for Out Of Time to get the DVD A treatment.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
It would definitely be from EMI, since that's where the rights for this album reside. (Everything up to and including Document was issued on IRS, which was absorbed into EMI at some point. After that it's all Warner.)

I'm gonna get a DVD-A player someday (software has finally reached critical mass for me -- Neil Young, Yes, R.E.M., with Pet Sounds and Dark Side coming next year), but might well pick this one up right away if the hi-res stereo track is DVD-V compatible. One of my favorite albums.

Ryan

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Dear EMI,

Please release the REMaining catalogue to DVD-A in the following order:

Life's Rich Pageant
Murmur
Green
New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Fables of the Reconstruction
Reckoning
Dead Letter Office
Up
Out of Time
Monster

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Louis,

A few of those titles you listed are controlled by Warner, which means there is an excellent chance we will get them on DVD-A. My advice would be if you are a R.E.M fan to go out and buy the two discs that are out now (Reveal and Automatic for the People). Good sales are a sure way to show Warner that people are interested in DVD-A and want more R.E.M in Hi-res.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see Out of Time come out on DVD-Audio. I think "Losing My Religion" would be great in high-resolution stereo. I'll take Green on DVD-Audio too. :)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I'll take Green on DVD-Audio too.
I would like to see all of REM on DVD-A but if I had to pick only one more it would have to be Green. With Document coming out from EMI, it appears REM has chosen DVD-A as their format of choice, which is a good thing to keep consistency between all of their titles.

J

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
KeithH, we have agreed time and again that a DVD A collection just isn't complete without Out Of Time :)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Dumb question time. I know nothing about DVD A. Can you play them on regular DVD players?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If I were king of the R.E.M. DVD-Audio universe, I would want the next four, in order, to be:

Reckoning
Lifes Rich Pageant
Murmur
New Adventures in Hi-Fi

I'll take SACD on the IRS stuff just as readily if Capitol-EMI really does support both formats.

Regards,

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone compared the AFTP DVD-A to the LP. I have the LP and find that it beats the CD on everything except slam and a little swagger. The thing is AFTP is a quiet album (though Stipe says it's punk), so slam and swagger shouldn't be an issue. Monster and Reveal are both poorly mastered on CD and I don't have those on LP to compare. Murmur is also excellent on vinyl. My Document LP I think has seen better days because it's about as good as the CD.

George See

Second Unit
Hey Ken,
Put Murmur in the top spot and you got my vote for king.
What you don't vote for kings? I think i heard that in a monty python movie somewhere. :)
Seriously though REM on dvd-a does it get any better?

Matt Rowe

Auditioning
According to my source, REM's upcoming "Document" is now pushed back to February 11 along with The Band's "Music from Big Pink". Sorry folks, to form dark clouds along the horizon. I seem to be doing a lot of that lately.

...Matt Rowe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks