R.E.M - anyone got it yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesper, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    I will have mine on saturday - can't wait!
    I haven't seen any review yet - anyone?

Jesper

2. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Got mine today. Sounds pretty good. I need to really listen to it tomorrow to evaluate it.

Not my favorite R.E.M. album, of course, but I'm happy to have anything.

3. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

Got my copy today too. First impessions:

The content here is great. There's the standard 96/24 stereo and 5.1 audio mixes (as well as the Dolby Digital compatible). You also get a discography of R.E.M.'s albums (with track listings), a 30-minute "documentary" on the album (kind of a glorified electronic press kit), the video for "I'll Take The Rain," and a still photo gallery.

It's the kind of stuff that all DVD-A discs should have, really. I would have chosen a different video -- actually, I would have included all three videos for the album -- but I guess I shouldn't be greedy.

The sound is great, but I think the 5.1 remix is a mixed bag. Most of the tracks sound great, with lead vocals dedicated to the center channel and flashy channel effects kept to a minimum. But I think a couple songs (particularly "Imitation of Life") sound much better on the stereo tracks. The stereo version of "Imitation of Life" has real punch to it, but the 5.1 mix sounds diffused. I may just opt to listen to the stereo tracks completely.

The 96/24 tracks (stereo or multi-channel) sound great and completely blow away the Dolby Digital tracks. It's time to upgrade if that's the only way you can listen to this album.

BTW -- the band members talk about how "up" this album is, but I've always thought it was a tad meloncholy. Which ain't a bad thing, don't get me wrong. I just don't know how they could consider this so "sunny." It took me a while to get into some of the songs, but I'm there now.

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Mine is on it's way from Circuit City. I cheaped out on the shipping so it's going to be a few days. I ordered it along with Fleetwood Mac - Rumours.