What's new

R.e.m. Aftp Dvd-a (1 Viewer)

Jason_H

Second Unit
I believe it was delayed until Dec. 3rd? This is what Amazon is showing now, they previously had it pushed back to Nov. 19th I think.

On another note, I just finally got around listening to the DVD-A of Reveal yesterday. Like my only other DVD-A, Bjork's Vespertine, I had to turn down the surrounds a little bit or it was a bit overwhelming, but once I made that correction the sound was a revalation. They both sound just wonderful.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I think it is still supposed to be coming out on the 19th though it could have been pushed back again. Amazon is no longer that reliable of a source for DVD-A. It seems like they don't have stock on hand for many titles, so they end up ordering the titles before shipping them out to you adding long delays.

J

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I didn't want to start a whole seperate thread for this so I hope this is O.K. to write this here:
For people with a DTS96/24 decoder: I was at Best Buy last night and saw two new dvd-audios from DTS Entertainment, "Brazilian Jazz" & "Brazilian Bossa". In addition to the dvd-audio tracks they both include DTS' new 96/24 compressed format. I would really like to hear what this format sounds like, since regular DTS sounds so good allready. The price? drum roll........... one was $24.99 and the other $27.99. Wow!
Any volunteers? :D
LJ

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'm also patiently waiting for the DVDA release.

I have REM's Reveal and it does sound much better than the cd version.

MatS

Screenwriter
ok, let's try this again
if you pick this up tomorrow please post impressions

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Mat,
I am pretty sure this disc is now scheduled to be released on December 3rd not tomorrow. I never heard any announcement of a delay, but DVDEmpire as well as Circuit City both represent this date as the new release. I will give you my impressions on the 3rd if and when I get the disc in my hands. :)
J

ChrisP

Agent
Picked up yesterday at BBuy. Gave it a quick listen last night. I was suprised looking at the case that the Hi-Rez tracks were only 48/22, but i guess that's due to the source recordings (dat?). Anyway, I thought it was great. Some nice surround effects, fairly active rear channels. There were a couple points where M. Stipe's lead vocal is centered in the front, and his second vocal track, where he's backing himself up come from the rear center.

All in all, i thought it was a good surround mix, and it sounds pretty great to me.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

You noticed that Center Rear placement too? Very eerie.

And yes, the source recordings were 48K, although I don't know the sampling depth. Rather than upsample, they left 'em as is which is a better choice IMO.

Quailty is good, but am I the only one who thinks the drum kit was compressed too much on Drive?

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
According to the packaging, it's DD & DTS 5.1, but I have not verified this in a non DVD-A capable player at this time.

Stereo is 24/48 too.

See above, initial sampling rate was 48K on the masters (including the digital stereo master), so no big gain to be had by upsampling that either.

Regards,

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
From what I have listened to on this disc, I am very very impressed. The DVD-A is miles ahead of the redbook release which I also own. The multichannel mix is very well done. A few surprising parts such as the backup voacals coming from the rear as already mentioned, but nothing too silly like having the main vocals in the rears. If you are a rock fan pick this one up as well as Reveal which is also excellent.

Any word on more R.E.M. coing to DVD-A?

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

The Hi-res stereo PCM track is available on the DVD-A layer for sure. Seeing that I have my player set for DVD-A, I do not access the DVD-V portion of the disc, but if the grid on the back of the disc is correct, only DD and DTS are available for DVD-V players.

J

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Michael,

Breakdown as follows:

DVD-V program:

DTS 5.1 at 1509 kbps
DD 5.1 at 448 kbps
DD 2.0 at 448 kbps

DVD-A program:

MLP 5.1 24bit/48kHz
MLP 2.0 24bit/48kHz

Regards,

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Yeah, someone cue up "Find the River" and tell us how over/underwhelmed by the fidelity you are....I would suspect you will be overwhelmed, but I want to know if I should sell my well-played regular CD on Ebay and spring for this one.

What a classic!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There has been some discussion on whether or not the 2-channel mix on the DVD-Audio is a remix or the original 2-channel mix. I have yet to A/B with the redbook CD myself.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread