What's new

Quoting messages (1 Viewer)

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
Administrators/Moderators,
I would respectfully ask that you consider enabling the "quote" button feature of vBulletin. I found an older reference to why the quoting feature is disabled in this thread. I understand that the potential for abuse (quoting entire posts) is there, however I am finding it very difficult to follow comments when the only reference to what is being discussed is "Joe, agreed, but...". Having to scroll up half a page, or even go back a page to see what a post refers to is very distracting and breaks up the "flow" of reading a messge. I also want to be able to use selective quoting to ensure that my own posts are as clear as possible. I've used the following syntax to simulate the auto-quote feature, but it's obviously quite cumbersome to do manually each time:
[ quote ] [ i ] poster [ /i ] [ b ] quotation [ /b ] [ /quote ]
I don't know much about the vBulletin software, but would it be possible to modify to software to disable (or truncate) quotes longer than a certain number of characters? That combined with an advisory that the quote function only supports (for example) 300 characters would be sufficient to prevent abuse, wouldn't it?
Thanks,
Jamie

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Jamie,
Maybe I'm not reading your question right but when I reply to a post there IS a "quote" button. Just above where you type is a whole slew of buttons for links, images, spoilers, etc... and "Quote." Were you just missing it? Or am I missing your point? I hope the former is the truth and that I was able to help. :)
Dan Hine

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Jamie's referring to the quote button that is with each post when enabled on vB, so that the post you want to reply to can be automatically quoted in the reply.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
I too find the quote function very handy, if indeed you are talking about the button that usually appears near, "profile". "email" etc.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, let me illustrate the difference. Here is what comes out when you hit the "quote" button during message entry:
Jamie said:
This is how people should be quoting, and I hope there is a way for the moderators to be able to turn on this great feature while keeping people from abusing it.
I hope this makes more sense now. :p)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yeah it's annoying. One change they could make is to get rid of the pop-up when you quote. Rather get the quote button just to put the quote tags in the message. Then if you have a long multi-line quote it can easily be pasted in.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah it's annoying. One change they could make is to get rid of the pop-up when you quote. said:
Yep, that's exactly the one I'm talking about. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Well, I will have to talk to Ron about this. It was seriously abused in past with members quoting entire posts and making threads excessively long. If he agrees to putting this back in I will do so.

Parker

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Ok then, sorry to have been mistaken. :b I have two questions though.

1) What if you want to quote two people or more? So you press the quote button, are taken to a screen that allows you to type in a message replying to that quote, then what? Scroll down and continue reading the threads or what?

2) To make it easier for you to explain it to me, could you tell me of a forum that uses this feature? I'm very curious about it.

Thanks guys!

Dan Hine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks