Quintet w/ ksw-10 VS. NSP 1 II w/ pb10

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by kuttaS, Aug 30, 2003.

1. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

currently the good guys near me has the quintet with ksw-10 for $499. on the other hand i can get the nsp II with pb10 for about the same money from a authorized dealer. so can u guys tell me which one is better performer especially with H/K receivers.

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

The JBL NSP1's!!! Sound & Vision Objective Standard Speaker Benchmark for JBL N24 (part of the NSP1 package) showed it's Front R&L speaker's to reach as low as ...

89 Hz -2.7 dB (see JAN 2001 S&V issue).

... whereas the Klipsch Quintet Sound & Vision Objective Standard Speaker Benchmark for Quintet showed it's Front R&L speaker's to reach only ...

188 Hz -3.4 dB (see FEB/MAR 1999 S&V issue).

So, the JBL NSP1's set would be an easy set to blend & matched with just about any sub, ... like the JBL PB10 or the SVS 25-31PCi, ... which my brother bought for his NSP1's!

----
    FYI:
    Klipsch Quintet
    Frequency Response
    front left/right.... 188 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.4 dB
    center.............. 156 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
    surround............ 188Hz to 20 kHz ±3.5 dB

JBL NSP1
    Frequency Response
    N-24 front left/right.... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
    N-Center................. 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
    N-24 surround............ 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB

Phil

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I like the Quintets myself and with the KSW-10 I think it would be a nice addition.

I own the Quintets and I don't think I would have it any other way. A small, nice looking, sturdy package. Mine sound great and I love them that's all I gotta say, even if they don't go down to 90Hz.

I also have it paired with a HK AVR-225 reciever and the movies sound awesome.

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

kuttaS,
    I'm a huge Klipsch fan, but the Quintet's are sorely outclassed in every way by the JBL's here.

5. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

6. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for the JBL package. I've had both the Quintets and the N24 as rears in my HT setup, and the N24s are much, much more capable speakers -- they go lower, have a comparable if not better midrange, and are far less "beamy" and piercing in the highs. The JBL tweeter is quite nice, not too grainy and a bit rolled off, while the Quintet's Tractrix horn struck me as shrill. And this from a 40-year-old guy whose hearing about 12KHz is very limited!

The JBLs are bigger and, like the Quintets, have their own integral mounting brackets which makes them easy to place.

7. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

any suggestions about the link i posted

8. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

im guessing most people havent heard that h/k system but it actually looks really similar to the nsp1 with a slightly different look. jlb and h/k are the same company, so its not outrageous to think that the 3/4" titanium coated tweeters are the same in both the N-series and that h/k series and that the midranges (5" in the Ncenter and h/k center and 4" in n24s and h/k bookshelves) are the same as well. the sensativities are a little better on the h/k's though.

finding someone who has heard them might be a little tough, but there is probably a good chance they perform similar ot the nsp1, or maybe a little better (due to the higher sensativities). if you can get them for a good deal, it mgiht be worth taking the risk.

9. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind, mounting brackets are integral to the Quintets and come with the N24s. If you go with the Harman Kardons and plan on wall-mounting all five, you might be looking at $50-100 additional.