What's new

"Quincy, M.E.", Season 3 where are you? (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Again, the running times are shorter because of the slight speed difference, rather than any edits. Unfortunately, season 4 (and soon, season 5) of Quincy are not yet available anywhere in Region 1, so PAL is the only option for unedited episodes at this time.

lj01

Agent
Real Name
Lyle
Yes, I would have to agree that the prints look fantastic and the speed-up thing is not a bother even in the slightest. Madman's service was top-notch as well, I pre-ordered these and had them in my hands (in the US) on November 16th, same day as they were released.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
whbos said:
The running times should be accurate and not based on those from Universal otherwise it's misleading to buyers. Shorter run times show whether they're edited or not and that would be information a buyer would want to know.
Are these only in PAL or are they also available for NTSC? If PAL, there's no reason for me to bother with them since I don't have a dual region DVD player.
PAL/NTSC and DVD regions aren't the same thing, though. If the boxset is region-free (as foreign DVD releases sometimes are), your only concern would be whether your player is capable of converting the PAL signal to NTSC (which many DVD players--though not all--can do, often 'behind the scenes') or not, or if it can output a pure PAL signal if your display can handle it.
It is a compatibility issue, but one totally separate from region compatibility.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
FanCollector said:
Definitely a worthwhile distinction, but the Madman releases are not region-free either.
Ah!
Part of the reason I even bothered to make the distinction is that, quite often it seems, several Australian released are encoded region-free, particularly if it's a title they expect to do a fair amount of export-related sales on (Darkroom, for instance).

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
If that is the case, then I may have been hasty. My copy of Darkroom is labeled Region 4. If it is, in fact, secretly encoded region-free, then maybe the Quincy set is the same. Neither will play on my Region 1 DVD players, but if you are correct about Darkroom, then it may just be the PAL thing.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
FanCollector said:
If that is the case, then I may have been hasty. My copy of Darkroom is labeled Region 4. If it is, in fact, secretly encoded region-free, then maybe the Quincy set is the same. Neither will play on my Region 1 DVD players, but if you are correct about Darkroom, then it may just be the PAL thing.
If it is a region issue, the player will typically display something of that nature in it's display at the player itself. However, if it is a NTSC/PAL compatibility issue at your display, the player will not know that and it should show a normal display for playback.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
if it's a region issue, you should get a "wrong region" message (or something similar) on your television (and perhaps on the front panel of the player, too).
Although several players will convert PAL to NTSC on the fly, there are some name brands (Panasonic and Sony are perhaps the most notorious) whose US players are intentionally engineered to be NTSC-only by the manufacturer. No idea if you'd get any kind of error message in those cases.
There are many cases (particularly in Australia) where the package may display "Region 4", while the discs themselves are actually encoded for all regions. The Umbrella releases of ITV sitcoms (Man About the House, George & MIldred, etc.) were one such example.
I know there is computer freeware out there for PC or Mac that you can download and use to tell what region(s) a particular disc is encoded for (assuming your computer has a DVD drive).

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
My old Denon displays a message on screen, as well as the player's display when attempting to play an invalid region. I mentioned the player display in this case because the person wasn't sure if it was a display compatiility or region code issue. So this approach might narrow it down for them.
Also, even when it comes to players doing on the fly conversion, it may not be capable for all inputs connections. For example, i have a Marantz that can perform NTSC and PAL conversions on component but not on HDMI. That makes me think the capability happened to be available within a chipset along the analog path but not within the digital path.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by FanCollector /t/242202/quincy-m-e-season-3-where-are-you/120#post_3886614
If that is the case, then I may have been hasty. My copy of Darkroom is labeled Region 4. If it is, in fact, secretly encoded region-free, then maybe the Quincy set is the same. Neither will play on my Region 1 DVD players, but if you are correct about Darkroom, then it may just be the PAL thing.
Same here. My copy of Darkroom is labelled as Region 4, but (as discussed earlier on in this thread) will not play on a Region 2 player (only a multi-region player). Did get a "wrong region" onscreen message with Darkroom on a Region 2 player. Yet the two Blackjack (Austrailian detective series) DVD volume sets, which are also Region 4, will play on a Region 2 player.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
WaveCrest said:
Same here. My copy of Darkroom is labelled as Region 4, but (as discussed earlier on in this thread) will not play on a Region 2 player (only a multi-region player). Did get a "wrong region" onscreen message with Darkroom on a Region 2 player. Yet the two Blackjack (Austrailian detective series) DVD volume sets, which are also Region 4, will play on a Region 2 player.
I believe that any shows that are from Universal and licenced to Madman have to be set for region 4.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Decided to get Madman's Region 4 release of the third season of Quincy, M.E. Might get the fourth season, depending on what the set is like.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I really want just one more season in R1 so I can see Jessica Walter's great dual role as a female newscaster who gets murdered by her twin sister who then assumes her identity.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Yes, the Universal (Region 1) releases of Quincy, M.E. are as far as the third season, Universal Playback (Region 2) released just the first and second seasons boxset, and Region 4 in Austrailia is as far as the fifth season at the moment.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
WaveCrest said:
Yes, the Universal (Region 1) releases of Quincy, M.E. are as far as the third season, Universal Playback (Region 2) released just the first and second seasons boxset, and Region 4 in Austrailia is as far as the fifth season at the moment.
oh yeah, north america is region 1, i typed 2 by mistake,
so i fixed my post to avoid further confusion.
Maybe Tim is in the UK, it's sort of a shame the forum software
doesn't automatically show the poster's location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks