QuietZone Acoustic Batts???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BrianVan, Sep 19, 2003.

1. BrianVan

BrianVan Auditioning

Has anyone used these? Are they worth it or am I just as well off using regular insulation? These are made by Owens corning.
    Brian

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I am looking at the same thing....need to put between panels and floor in basement ceiling..

3. Daryl RL

Daryl RL Agent

I was looking into these and called Owens-Corning because my local Home Depot was going to have to special order them.

The O.C. rep told me they were the same as the regular insulation - just packaged and rated for sound-proofing instead of for insulating. He suggested going with regular R13 insulation to avoid waiting for special delivery.

I looked around and ended up going with SAFB (Sound Attenuating Fire Blankets) from www.thermafiber.com (click on "Commercial Products"). They weren't available at regular stores, but a local insulation company delivered within a couple days of my ordering. My basement HT isn't done yet, so I can't tell you how well it works yet, but several acoustic sites say mineral fiber insulation is best for soundproofing.

Good luck!

4. BrianVan

BrianVan Auditioning

Thank you for the info. What is the cost compared to regular insulation?

5. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

The pink stuff is the pink stuff, no matter what it's called! Fiberglass batts are standard for layered sound isolation construction.

Mineral wool is almost identical, with slightly better performance above 250 Hz. But it's not enough to effect the STC (Sound Transmission Class). These results were reported in a well-known study by the Research Council of Canada.

The type of construction - single wall, double wall, staggered studs, use of resilient channel, etc. - has a much greater effect on sound isolation than the type of insullation.

Regards,
    Terry

6. Daryl RL

Daryl RL Agent

It comes in different thicknesses. I would have trouble finding the receipt right now - I think the 3" thick was something like $0.27 per square foot? If I recall correctly the total including delivery was under $300 for enough for a double layer of 3" SAFB for a 450 square foot basement.

Anyway, I sent an email to thermafiber, they responded within a day or so with a list of local suppliers, I made a few calls to get the best price and the supplier delivered it here the next day.

7. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Well here we go again!

Someone posted about this a while ago and if I am not mistaken Daryl RL said the same thing. I also am going to say the same thing.... LOL

Here is my take on this....

I was looking for an inexpensive way to sound proof my room, and low and behold the owens corning products did just that. If I remember correctly the price was around $10 more per roll. Now if you go to the owens corning site there is a test http://www.owenscorning.com/around/sound/whatis.asp

In the test it says it makes the room quieter by about 20% compared to no insulation. I would also like to note that there is a link to a door company that teamed up with owens corning that makes a door that is somewhat sound proof.The name slips my mind if I remember I will post it here.

Now Brian,
    If you live near me(Massachusettes) I have some
    left over from my home theater remodel.

Just my 2 cents,
    Ed O'Neill

P.S. I was right Darryl and I both posted in this thread..
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ight=ed+Oneill