What's new

Quiet running PC's (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
Do PC cases really differ in the amount of noise that they allow or do I have to buy a case like THISin order to get the least amount of noise while running my computer?

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Im sure materials and the number of case funs do make a bit of a difference. My aluminum case has 6 internal fans and I have a Swiftech heat sink fan on my processor. It sounds like a blow drier has been stuffed in my desk drawer. So, I upgraded my sound card and speakers and that helps take care of the issue ;)

Martice

Screenwriter
I have a quiet listening room and although I don't expect the fans to be dead quiet, I would hope that there are ways to keep the noise to a level that when a movie is at one of the quiet passages I don't hear the buzz sound from the fan or some other part of the PC. Is this wishful thinking?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
If you want a quiet machine, the case isn't usually the highest priority.
The power supply fan is probably making a stack of noise. You can either change the fan for a really quiet one, or change the whole PSU. I've got a Quietpc.com 300w PSU in both of my systems. Barely a whisper of sound and a really good quality PSU too. Not cheap though.
I've also got a Quietpc CPU fan (Pentium 3) and two Zalman 80mm case fans, also from Quietpc, which you can barely hear in a quiet room.
If you want a quiet hard drive, Seagate Barracuda ATA IV are the quietest IDE hard drives available - bar none. No case resonance either thanks to the fluid bearing mechanism.
www.quietpc.com
or www.quietpc.ca

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks