Quiet fan for component cooling

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rory Buszka, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I want one of these 60mm fansto strap to my subwoofer amplifier. Right now I've got an NMB 80mm fan running at 4.5v (less than 1/2 speed) on it and it still makes noise. Being a ball-bearing fan, it lasts a long time but is more noisy. Sunon's Magnetic Levitation system is a true innovation, causing the fan impeller to stay always in the center of its operating track and not rub against the side of the bearing during operation, for low vibration and long operating life. These are used in laptops where people can't get to the fans to replace them and the fans need to last a long time.
    http://www.directron.com/magnetic.html
    Also sold there are the Papst 8412 sleeve-bearing fans which are so well known for low noise (12 dBa).

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
  3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Yes, I remember recommending the Papsts. Among Quiet-PC-addicts, they are the quietest, best fans around. they are a bit more expensive though, but I hear from other Papst users that you can't hear the Papst fans except for wind noise, while they still deliver decent CFM.

4. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

How do you power these? Aren't they DC? I want something I can plug into the wall outlet.

I have a Rad. Shack fan, and can't stand the fan noise.

Thanks for your input.

5. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

Mmmm... I'd like to check these fans out myself...

BTW... It's generaly not the best idea to undervolt a fan... It can cause the fan to fail early and it also delivers less than the designed amount of air to the component...

A better approach is to isolate the fan from the mount and mounting screws with something like Sorbothane... it'll eliminate virtually ALL of the transmitted vibrations which will make the install MUCH quieter..