Quiet down in there!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Svencer, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

When your computer goes to standby what fans go off if any? Or is it just the hard drive spins down? Does the cpu fan go off or any other fans hooked into the motherboard? I would love to leave my computer on all the time but the fan on my MSI G$ ti4200 is like a damn jet engine and if I could run it to the MB to make it go off when in standby that would be awesome. I am open to any other suggestions also. Thanks.
    -Svence

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Chris,

It is really going to depend on quite a few different factors.

1) When your computer goes in standby the Hard Drive does spin down which can be a good portion of your computer noise depending on the hard drive that you have.

2) It will depend on your motherboard, OS, settings for what other fans, if any that will slow down. Some mother-boards have settings for case fans, CPU fan, Power supply fans, etc. It can also depend on the fans that you buy and the Power-Supply that you get. Each of these you can get with controllable fans. I have a Thermaltake Xaser A6000A case and every fan in the case is controllable with the CPU, Power-Supply, & case fans all temperature controlled. So the hotter the case gets the faster the fans will blow and also the reverse if its not hot they slow down.

You can also get an after market Heat sink and Fan for that Ti4200 that can cut down on the noise the Manufactures fan makes for you.

KyleS

3. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

Thanks alot Kyle. I got it figured out. In the bios I was able to have it standby to the RAM instead of the Hard drive like it was before. Now the entire computer shuts off. Nice and quiet.
    Thanks.
    -Svence