Quidditch: What's the deal with this game???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Han, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Han

Han Second Unit

Okay, so having never read the Harry Potter books and not seeing the movie in the theaters, I finally got around to getting the DVD. I enjoyed the movie, but can't seem to figure one thing out...
    What's the point of Quidditch? This has got to be the most poorly conceived game in the last 10 years of movies, if not ever. Worst than that arena style football in Starship Troopers, worst than Rollerball, and that's right, worst than Baseketball!
    Why in the world do they need teams, and if so, why do they even bother keeping score, and why do the players bother playing? Just have one player on each side, and have them go after the flying thingy. That's it! The rest of the game is pointless, because the score can be 100000 - 0, but the team with zero points could win because their seeker beat the other team's seeker.
    Imagine if the rules for soccer was, you can score all you want, but the first team to score on a header wins, even if they were losing in goals. Pointless I tell ya![​IMG]

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

3. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

They left out a crucial gameplay element in the movie, so I understand why it must be confusing to you!

Catching the snitch does not automatically guarantee victory. It's worth 150 points. Scoring a goal through the hoops is only worth 10 points, so USUALLY the team that catches the snitch wins.... but not always.

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Plus, from what I understand, catching the snitch is not a forgone conclusion. This may not happen every game, in which case the goals to mean something.

5. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I thought _somebody_ had to catch the snitch for the game to end, didn't the book make reference to quidditch games lasting for days in some cases?

6. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

7. Kevin_M_M

Kevin_M_M Stunt Coordinator

it is true, the game does not end until the snitch is caught but catching the snitch does nothing but end the game and give the team 150 points.

it does not guarantee victory.

(see book 4 of harry potter, the quidditch world cup game)

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you ask me the whole magic Harry Potter world is completely wack. Magic is effortless and is used for trivial purposes like "materializing" food (why not just have cooks? Oh, becuase magic is effortless) and making the wierd ceiling in the dining hall. And of course this idiotic game. Just stupid.

Lord of the Rings is literature - Harry Potter us pulp.

Where's the movie adaptation of David Eddings' Belgariad?

9. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Phillip, before criticizing what you just did in your last post, try reading the first 4 books, it's much more fleshed out. ie. The food materializing is covered in a later book.
    READ MAN, READ! Besides, it's good for you [​IMG]
    Chris.

10. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

11. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

I think Harry should never have tried to get past Fluffy, that way Voldmor would have been looking in that damn mirror forever, never finding the Philosophers stone because of the spell Dumbledor (sp?) used to hide it. [​IMG]
    just my 2 pennies,
    jay

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

13. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Uh..Jeff...what part are you disagreeing with? That he used magic? That they were effortless? Pg 35 of FOTR clearly states that Gandalf had specific and unique fireworks prepared for Bilbo's Birthday.

I'll have to agree with Phillip's assessment of HP, which is backed up by the fact that I've read the first HP book. Of course Phillip lost any credibility with me by mentioning the Belgariad :p)

14. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I've read all 4 Potter books, and they are, indeed, pulp.

But, they're KIDS books. They don't need to be more. It's just that after becoming a phenomenon people denigrate them because of their success.

15. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    ...and Quidditch IS a stupid game. But, kids think it sounds exciting! [​IMG]

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Actually the Potter books are probably very equivalent to the Belgariad books, fun fantasy pulp for teens. But at least in the Belgariad magic was (like in LOTR) something very special and exclusive (to like 20 people in the whole world not an annual class of 300 or so) and required -effort-.

17. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

18. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Ah...found it:

"The fireworks were by Gandalf: they were not only brought by him, but designed and made by him; and the special effects, set peices, and flights of rockets were let off by him."

I'm not sure if he used his "magic" to do it though...

19. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

When LOTR was released, initially, it was thought of as pulp; hell, many universities still regard it as pulp. Same could be said to be true of Narnia books, etc.

But, "pulp" or "no-pulp" if it encourages you to read, what's the flaw? The quality of a book is all in the eyes of the reader. You could argue that any book is "good" or "crap" hell, you could say the same about everything from Stephen King to the Bible.

Joy of reading is all that matters. And if you enjoyed reading it, then it is, ipso facto, not pulp to you. And if it makes kids read, I'm all for it.

20. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell