QuickTime 7 for Windows

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

While I have made it quite clear that I'm a big Windows fan/proponent, I do indulge in two Apple programs: iTunes and Quicktime.
    Just upgraded to QuickTime 7 for Windows a few minutes ago. Generally, I am quite pleased. QT7 is the first Windows version in a while to look almost exactly like the Mac version. It's a bit of a resource hog, but the picture quality is fantastic. I tried some of the 720P trailers, and they ran fairly well, a little jerkier than they should but not bad at all for a beta release.
    The real test was with the QuickTime files that already ran fine under QT6.4. That was a bit more of a mixed bag. Unfortunately, the FPS measurements don't work at all in this version, so I couldn't tell if I was dropping any frames or not. The video appeared silky smooth, though. The lip sync was less satisfactory than QT6. First thing I tried was a Moviefone trailer ("Rent"), as their subpar encoding gave me all sorts of errors in QT6. The good news is that in QT 7 I don't get the error messages I got before and the video, like, always plays. The bad news is, the video is about a quarter of a second off from the audio the entire way through.
    The next trailer I tried was the "Serenity" full screen trailer, which had its own interesting quirks: Right off the bat, the top sprite above the video, which worked fine it QT6 is very screwy looking in QT7. The video still seemed slightly off-sync, but without comparing with the QT6 version I couldn't be sure. Either way, the sync issues were far less severe than with the "Rent" trailer.
    The program itself I'm generally quite happy with, my primary issue being that this time around they decided to have all of the Pro features on the menu, only grayed out with a "PRO" icon next to them. If that's not a desperate grab for more cash, I don't know what is. It also makes using the Player version much more irritating.
    Trying to get a handle on the lip sync issue, I played "Bryan's Blog #9" from the BlueTights website. At first it still seemed slightly off when I was studying it intensely, but when I relaxed and just watched the video it never stood out like it did with the "Rent" trailer. I really wished I'd paid better attention with Quicktime 6, to see whether this is a new issue or not.
    I'll be tracking discussions intensely between now and the final release, knowing that I can always revert back to QT6 if it does stand out as a problem.

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

If you can see enough to actually notice lip sync, Apple has done a far better job than Microsoft has. [​IMG] Don't have access to my PC now to see how it's working there. Works great on the new Dual G5 and 720p plays fine at medium frame rates on the PB G4.

No DRM support and a "you can count the frame or frames per hour" 720p or 1080p rate is what you get with the 2 year old and no update in sight WMP for Mac.

3. Adam Lenhardt

By "jerky", I didn't mean a slide show, which is why I'm so positive about it. Other than the possible lip sync issue, video playback has been rock solid. One other new feature I like is being able to jump around the play back even as it's downloading; you theoretically could before, but it would lag big time.

MPEG-2 with PowerDVD or xVid with VideoLAN/VLC has always been my playback format of choice, but Quicktime remains the golden goose of the mainstream formats.

Also, the site warns that you shouldn't use QT7 with iTunes. Thus far I haven't had any problems with any QT conflicts.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Wow. The Batman trailer takes on a whole new life in HD. Amazing.

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Jerkiness or not is often a question of whether or not the horsepower to display HD is in the machine or not... not sure what you're using hardwarewise, though.

6. Adam Lenhardt

I was simply comparing the 720P content I tried in QuickTime 7 to the 720P content I've played previously tried in WMP. WMP didn't drop any frames, while QuickTime 7 was notably "jerkier" but not unusably so. I'm not sure whether that's the difference between programs or codecs though. The QuickTime 7 content was in H.264 and the WMP content was in xVid.