What's new

quickest way to make a temp screen? (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
My projector is do to arrive tomorrow or thursday at the latest. I have yet to decide on which screen to go with and I don't have an available wall to project an image on to.

So I want to build a temporary screen with fabric and 1 x 2 or 3's.
1. What type of fabric can I use?
2. Where do you recommend I purchase the fabric from?
3. Can I get by without having to paint the fabric?
If not, what paint (brand and color) do you recommend?

Does anyone have any links of building a diy screen?

TIA

Brad E

Second Unit
I did many searches before building my screen. Here is the best that I found. Extremely strong frame that won't twist or warp. And lightweight to boot.
DIY Frame

I bought my 1x3 pine from Home Depot. Dig though the pile and make sure you only select straight pieces.

In the above plans, he used a 1x8 header plank, which is a nice touch but not neccessary. 1x3 is plenty strong enough. He also uses velcro to attach his screen material. Whether or not you decide to do that is up to you.

Any fabric store will have blackout cloth, just make sure that it is 100% blackout.
I didn't paint mine and have no intention of doing so. PQ is fantastic. Although the cloth is inexpensive so if you wish to experiment it won't break the bank.
Total cost for me was $60 CDN for the whole thing.

Here's a link on how to stretch canvas. Use the same technique when stretching your blackout cloth.

Canvas stretching

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Ugh... I'm searching for it, but there's a post here or over at AVS on using 4' X 8' white vinyl sheets you can buy at Home Depot for cheap (intended for shower surrounds, bathroom panelling... etc). No stretching or framing.. just mount 'er up on the wall with some moulding for trim and BAM!

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" tileboard at home depot for a temporary screen. it worked so well I am still using it 2 years later.

a rigid panel like that is the fastest/easiest solution, but you need the right vehicle to get it home, since you can't exactly roll it up.

BrianKR

Second Unit
thx for the info
I will check into both fabric and 4 x 8 sheets.
Maybe I will give both a try to see what I like better.
I own a truck and conversion van so transportation won't be a problem ;)

I just hope I can sleep the next couple nights waiting for this projector to get here! I have been wanting one for almost 2 years!!!!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
FOUND IT!

Parkland Plastic's "Poly-Wall" is what you're looking for at Home Depot. If you need a sheet larger than 4x8, you'd have to special order it.

BrianKR

Second Unit
THANKS for the information Dave!
I am headed out now to try and find some of that material at my local HD and Lowes. If I strike out I will go to Jo-annes and pick up some blackout cloth.

I'm back!
I struck out on the parkland material and ended up with blackout cloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks