Quicken vs MS Money?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Allan, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

I finally decided to get my finances in order using one of these programs (rather than a simple Excel spreadsheet I created). Anyway, I read the reviews on both on Cnet and both got some good and some bad reviews. Any comments on which to get? Also, I can get the 2004 version of Money really cheap (around $15)? Is it worth getting the 2005 version? Or, should I go the Quicken route... Any comparisons from people who used both would be greatly appreciated! I am looking for the program in order to keep all of my finances straight and track expenses.

Thanks

2. Michael Toguchi

Michael Toguchi Stunt Coordinator

A number of years ago, I used Quicken to balance my checkbook. For some unforseen reason (probably just the evildoing of Microsoft) I made the switch to Money. I don't do anything heavy duty with my finances (checkbook, savings, credit cards, mortgage and other loans) so both Quicken and Money did the job just fine. The only difference is of course the interface, which you get used to no matter what software you use.

Since I haven't used Quicken in such a long time, I don't know about the internet capabilities it has. But I synchronize Money with my MSN/Hotmail account so I can see my balance online when I need to. Not that I need very often because I balance my checkbook 2 - 3 times a week [​IMG]

3. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I was a long time Quicken user until I upgraded several years ago to a new version and it started randomly faulting on me. I will not tolerate random faults while balancing my accounts, so I switched to Money and it has been working flawlessly.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I've never used Quicken, but I do use Money and like it well enough. It took me a while to figure out how to use it properly, but now that I do, things are peachy.

I just upgraded this weekend from 2004 to 2005 and like 2005 MUCH better. The interface is improved and it syncs with a whole lot more banks and CC companies. If money is a concern (no pun intended), 2004 will still work fine.

I picked up my 2005 Deluxe for $40 from Best Buy (was discounted from $60) and since I also bought TaxCut, I qualified for a $40 rebate.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I've been a longtime Quicken user, and currently use 2005 Deluxe Edition. I did use MS Money many years ago, but switched to Quicken because it was also used by our financial planner/accountant. I'm sure either program will meet almost any home finance management need.

Quicken's been very stable for me. I have it integrated with several financial institutions for electronic banking and updating of account transactions. It makes reconciling monthly statements a snap.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Well, I want to retract my recommendation for 2005. Stick to 2004, you'll be happier that way. Actually, I think 2003 is best of all, but 2004 is still okay.

2005 has a lot of syncing problems and duplicates downloaded transactions! You have to go through and re-accept things you've already accepted. Again and again and again.

I finally just removed the association with my Passport and went back to manually downloading the Money files from my bank. I was hoping to avoid that extra step with this new version, but apparently not.

7. John_Stra

John_Stra Extra

I have been using quicken for years and find it more intuitive than MS money. Plus you get to avoid the empire for at least one piece of software. I even just switched to Quicken on my MAC and I really like the interface.

-J

8. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Quicken user here as well. Just last year, updated to Quicken 2000 from Quicken 98, and 2000 works fine for me.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Longtime Quicken user here. I buy every other version, and have since 1994.

10. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

I think either one will work just fine. It's when u start getting into the more involved/advance features that u may notice a difference. I've used Money for the last 5 years and each year that make subtle improvements that just make it easier and easier...I look at Money as a very dependable program. To me...to make things any easier, the only change I need, is a raise from my job [​IMG]

11. Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk Stunt Coordinator

I swore off TurboTax and never upgraded my Quicken past 2000 after the Cedila(sp) fiasco. They've since abandoned that bad idea but I haven't looked back. I received notice about a year ago that the "old" Quicken could no longer access on-line info but I never used that function anyway.

YMMV