Quickcam suggestions, anyone?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dave Miller, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

My wife and I just had our first child and I'm wanting to test this live video thing w/ the grandparents. We have high speed internet and I was wondering what hardware and software ya'll recommend to send live video accross the internet.

I was at Circuit City and looked at the Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 and the VEO Velocity Connect 8000. Both come w/ a camera, software, etc. and have a resolution of 1024x768 for about $99.

How do these things work? After all the hardware is connected and software installed, how do you determine who you "call" with these cameras. A detailed explaination and recomendation would be great.

Peace,

DM

2. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Dave,

As no one has responded to your post, I'll provide my two cents here. I have the Quickcam 4000 and although it has great imaging, the basic design of the piece is flawed.

The stand or pivot point is rather cheap, cantankerous and does not support the camera very well. Even after anchoring the connecting cable, the cam still has a tendency to drift and not maintain it's stationary postion.

Images were very good and gave a quality image on screen. Installation was a breeze.

I cannot comment on the software as I did not even use it that often, so I defer to someone else's expertise on that subject. When I used it, I had zero problems with it.

If you go with the Logitech, I would suggest you buy another tripod for the cam. The reviews on the cam are generally very good, but for me, I just went back to my Kodak DVC 325 and put the Logitech out to pasture.

AS I am sure you know, you can buy this cam on the net for much less money then the $99 at CC or BB. I did a quick search and the lowest price I could find was like $73 plus shipping.

Again, it's a nice cam, but the base of the camera needs some tweaking. Here is a link for a tripod that might work for you.

http://www.extremecomputing.com/tripod.html

Much Luck,
    Charles

3. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Interesting stuff. You guys gave me something to think about. I did some more research on the 4000 and discovered that the 1024x768 resolution stuff is for still pics, not video. Video is 640x480. Video phone has my curiousity up as well.

Not sure what I'm gonna do.

Peace,

DM