Quick way to stabilize in ceiling speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Steve_Barrow, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

hi everyone;

was going to just put in some braces between joists. but thought I'd see if anyone had any innovative ideas to stabilize in ceiling speakers. Just the base rattles the ceiling, as the builder mounted the speakers dead center between joist so they have a several inches all around.

anyway, am very interested to see if anyone has an innovative (innovative to me anyway) idea [​IMG]

thanks in advance!

2. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

Steve,

I’m in the process of building a house and plan on plenty of in-ceiling speakers. Most of the speakers seem to simply have a mechanism where by they clamp onto the dry wall cut out, without need for an in-joist mount. Where does your vibration noise come from?

When placing an in-wall/ceiling speaker is there any need to provide a “backing” of some sort, e.g. insulation or stuffing to improve acoustical performance?

Regards,
    -jb

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Adding to what Jerome said, do you think the speakers need some form of gasket where they attach to the drywall to cut down on some of the rattles? Over in the "DIY" section, most of us use closed cell weatherstripping foam to place between the actual subwoofer and the cabinet we are building. This cuts down the rattles - and seals the enclosure.

4. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

Maybe I'll try that first Wayne, thanks.

Jerome, I wish now I had built enclosures attached to the joist prior to the board going up. it is definatly the board thats causing the vibration, kind of a shame. I plan to make an attempt tomorrow with the stripping wayne mentioned and if that doesn;t do it, some plywood and 1x4's that I can fit together and attach to the joist to see if I can stop the vibration.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

thanks!

5. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

Steve,

Outstanding advice!! I will have my contractor frame out the speaker wells, with extra joists and extra nails on the dry wall in the speaker area. I really appreciate your input as this may certainly save me trouble down the road.

Many regards,
    Jerome