Quick Time Pro Questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Glover, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I did a search and nothing helpful appeared so here it is.

These questions may be dumb!

Quick Time Pro:
    1. Does this enhance the video quality of viewing video files like trailers, other types of mpegs etc...?

2. When you get QTP, are you able to download large trailers that are otherwise restricted?

3. Is is worth the upgrade? I have a lot of trailers and football highlights on my pc and would like this to be viewed using the best quality available...

Thanks!

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Quicktime Pro is mostly usefull if you're going to be creating or editing movie files. I use it when I'm authoring streamig movies for use on my website. As far as I know, it doesn't do anything to improve already existing video quality. Some trailers are only savable with quicktime pro, so that may make it worthwhile to you.

For me, it's worth the $35 for the key. If I wasn't creating movie files, I doubt I'd pay for it though.

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Yeah some trailers can only be downloaded with QTP or require it for viewing the high-res versions of the trailers. I also use QTP to edit files and recommend purchasing the key for that reason. Of course, I'm sure there are people here that can recommend some sort of 23-step process to download trailers and avoid paying the QTP fee. Just depends on how much hassle you're willing to put up with before breanking down and buying the software.

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Thanks Guys for the tips! [​IMG]

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I am not sure if people are aware of this, but if you buy QT Pro, you do not get a discount when the next version comes out. I brought QT Pro 5 23 days before QT Pro 6 was officially released, when I downloaded QT 6 Pro, I was told my key does not work for this version. I emailed Apple support and they said, yes, even if you buy it the day before, it will cost you another $35 go get the next version. Worst yet, as I loaded QT 6 over my QT Pro 5, I now cannot even get back to Pro 5, as the Pro installation process automatically goes to the Apple site and get the latest (which is 6), but you can't unlock the Pro features without paying for another key.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Are you using a Mac running OS X? If you are, there's a QuickTime 5 re-installer available for download that removes QT6 and allows you to go back to 5. Of course, if you're using Windows or any Mac OS prior to OS X, you're screwed. [​IMG]

7. Steve_Ch

>>you're screwed.

8. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

QuickTime 6 was supposed to be a free upgrade from 5, but due to the additional costs of MPEG-4 licensing fees, Apple had to charge for the upgrade.

11. Nigel McN

Steve_Ch did you miss my amazingly subtle hint?

12. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If MPEG-4 fees were the real issue, Apple could have set up QT 6 to honor QT 5 Pro keys for everything EXCEPT the MPEG-4 codec. It's not THAT hard to write a program to run both versions of the validation routine, and keep track of which one the key passed.

They didn't.

But when they were introducing QT Pro, someone came up with the time to remove the Save functionality that already existed in the regular version of the QT plug-in. Hmmm ...

13. Steve_Ch

Nigel, no, I did not miss it and it's amazing[​IMG] , I was doing some fairly basic editing stuff and that was the reason that I paid for and tried QT 5 Pro, right now, I actually have other tools (and format) that I like better so I did not spend any more time to press the issue. Playing stuff is generally not the issue as the free QT 6 will play fine. But thanks. BTW, I have an Olympus that takes QT movies (it's a digicam and NOT a video cam), so I mugged around with it, but the quality is pretty poor.
    Re: upgrade, the thing that annoyed me was NOT that they charge for upgrade, I am all for paying something for improvement, but you get no price break at all even if you have the last registered version (brought from Apple directly). Even MS do not insist on customers to pay full version price for every single release. I was frankly shocked, as I can't even remember one single software I used that do not have "upgrade" price, and I have about 20 pieces of various software that I upgrade regularly.

14. Nigel McN

well just yell out if you ever want a copy of the qt5 ( or 6) offline installer.