What's new

Quick suggestions for center channel please. (1 Viewer)

Ed Kerns

Agent
Greg & Scott, Stop, you're both right! I just returned from BB armed with their web page. The clerk promptly told me they wouldn't match their Internet price. They were still at $139 "clearance" on the shelf. Then I coaxed him into re-checking the store price and it came up as $77. They still had one in the box so I wasn't able to score the extra 30%, but still a pretty good price. Funny thing is, I went through the same price check a couple of days ago and there was no adjustment. Go figure. Thanks for your help guys. Anybody want to weigh in on the dipole surrounds? Those are open box and unmarked on the shelf, but I could use the coupon. Sorry again Mathew for the diversion.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Ed,
Cool, glad it worked. When I checked for the AS-R1 on Memorial Day, the sales guy told me $62, down from $75. He only had 1 in stock so it wasn't worth purchasing. I don't think they are on the website any longer so the price may be negotiable, ask for a manager. Get them to go as low as you can and then use your coupon at checkout.

I believe the AS-R1 is sold individually, not as a pair.

My store still has a Point 5 system in stock and they've been gone from most BB since the fall.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
I also agree that tilting the center channel to ear-level at the seating position is a good idea. I have my Infinity center channel speaker on a shelf directly above my DLP, and have it tilted down aimed at my ears using a book (can adjust height easily with more/less pages).

Also, some of you have menationed not going back to certain stores after bad experiences. I encourage you to write an email or letter to the manager of that store explaining how you felt you received unfari treatment, and how due to that experience you will never visit that store again. Then write a letter or email to corporate telling them about your experience at that store with that particular manager (get his/her name) and tell them that you will never go back to that chain again because of how you were treated. Often times they will want to rectify the situation, and will apologize and give you a gift card or something. This may also get some action taken with that manager you had trouble with.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Honestly Matthew, without trying to sound like an a-hole, I am pretty sure what's in the second quote can be explained by the first quote.

It looks like that center just plain can't keep up with those very large front mains you have.* My advice would be until you find a better center, run your receiver in its "no center" mode to avoid those irritating/distortion-filled effects. In "no center" mode the reciever will redirect the center sounds to the front mains--no sounds will be lost by doing this. You will lose some pinpoint center imaging ability but this is much easier to deal with than the stuff you are describing!

The center channel carries most of a movie's critical soundtrack, so I wouldn't allow such a situation to continue.

BTW: your sub's output won't drown out any center channel.

* this will be especially true if those speakers are from KLH's "Rave" series from a couple years ago (the ones with the cast aluminum woofers in very large dual-ported enclosures)

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Lance is 100% correct IMO. Find a better center channel. It's just not able to keep up with the rest of your system and at the louder volume you are wanting to push it to.

A center channle like the one you have would be more suited for a very small room etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks