Quick Sub Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allan.G, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Allan.G

Allan.G Auditioning

Never owning a sub before I need some help!

I was looking at a pic of the back of the SVS pc-plus subs.

I noticed that it looked like you could hook up regular speaker wire or a sub cable (RCA).

Am I correct, If so which is the better way to go? and do you need two of them? I did not know a sub had a left and right connection LOL

I'm prewiring now and need to know what to put in the walls

Thanks in advance for putting up with a noobie![​IMG]

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I wouldn't worry about the speaker wire inputs/outputs on the sub. Those are rarely, if ever, used in an HT setup these days. Just wire for the LFE cable that will run from the receiver to the sub.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

One single RCA terminated cable is all you need. The AVR's sub-out to either L or R in on the SVS will be fine. The speaker wire route would be if you didn't have a sub out and/or no crossover on your AVR, though the crossover will still work with the RCA input. Using a Y-cable to have input on both the L and R may give a stronger sub signal to help with the auto-on feature if your receiver had a weak output, but having had two SVS's I never found it necessary.

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

The speaker cable connection is a carry-over from the "stereo only" days where you used the sub's amp crossover to manage the signal between the sub and the L&R mains.

With today's bass management done at the preamp or receiver level it is no longer needed.

5. Allan.G

Allan.G Auditioning

Wow thanks for the quick replys guys!

That's what I needed to know. I purchased one sub cable from bluejean cables, and already have it ran. then I started looking at the back of the sub and got confused.

So I should be set

Thanks for helping me out.