What's new

Quick Simple HDTV antenna question (1 Viewer)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes. I use a Radio Shack UHF Double Bow-Tie that I picked up on close-out for $5. I am about 20 miles from the broadcast towers.

-Robert

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
I went to my local hifi store He said yes with a HDTV box and a special 200$ card u stick inside it u can receive digital content from UHF VHF (whatever its called)

he told me everything .. but how.. isn't it Analogue?

How dose it go from analogue to digital... If it goes analogue I thought it couldn't go back to digital....

Jeff Bock

Auditioning
Just becuase it comes from the air doesn't make it analog. A digital satellite dish gets information from the air, but it's still digital. The tuner for off the air HDTV is a digital tuner, so it's picking up digital signals from the air.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
All signals are analog. Digital is just a way of interpreting an analog signal. The shaping of an analog signal to carry information (not necessarily digital information) is called modulation.

With Digital TV in the U.S. and Canada, the signal consists of 10.76 million impulses per second, with each impulse having amplitude that is distinguished as having one of eight possible levels, from 0 to 7. This assignment of a value from 0 to 7 to the impulse is the heart of the conversion from analog to digital. The real magic is in being able to recognize the value of the signal even when the signal has a lot of noise.

From eight possible values, three bits of data can be derived. Then 2/3 trellis coding is used, with the three bits forming a pattern to represent only two bits more reliably. Reed Solomon error correction is used, costing a further 10% reduction in actual data bits. Thus the 10.76 million analog impulses per second become a stream of 19.28 million digital bits per second.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
He said yes with a HDTV box and a special 200$ card u stick inside it u can receive digital content from UHF VHF (whatever its called)
From this I take that he's talking about either the Dishnetwork model 6000 receiver or the Bel ExpressVu equivalent and the 8VSB add-on module. Since most OTA HD is broadcast in the UHF range, you will need a UHF antenna but first check with the local stations to make sure.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks