What's new

quick shiva question (1 Viewer)

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
A single voice coil represents a 8 ohm load while both wired up is 4 ohm correct? Whats the major difference asside from the load and your amp, performance wise? Could i wire up the shiva in a single driver sub with one voice coil to one set of posts and the other coil to another set of posts so i could use a old receiver to power the 8 ohm load? would the 4 ohm load be too much for most receivers or could i just wire them up together in a single set of posts and and drive the 4 ohm load farely safely? Not real sure what the best approach to this would be, thx.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I suggest getting 4 binding posts and wiring each coil to a pair of the posts for maximum flexibility. If you use a 4 way post designed for biwiring a sat, it will come with shorting bars (adire has one). Then, if you wire to one pair and use the shorting bar to the other pair (or short jumpers to the other pair), you will have the voice coils in parallel and a 4 ohm load. Remove the bars (or jumpers), and you have a single voice coil and an 8 ohm load. Then if you wire to the + of post pair a and the - of post pair b, then jumper the - of a to the * of b, you have the voice coils wired in series and a 16 ohm load. Can try all 3. Your receiver may or may not have trouble with the 4 ohm load- just may have to see if it runs hot when loud. Parallel will give the most SPL but most amp strain too. Yet another option is to wire to pair a and put a resister across pair b. This will change the q of your driver. There is no way to use both voice coils and end up with an 8 ohm load. I think this is discussed somewhere on adire's site. Hope this helps.

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
Thx Brian I forgot about those jumper bars, that seems to be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks