What's new

Quick sanity check on drive speeds (1 Viewer)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Ok, I'm looking to buy an external DVD burner for my wife's new IBM thinkpad G40, and I found this one:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/tdk...writer-4x.html

the only hangup I have about buying it is that it recommends a 5400RPM hard drive speed; laptops for the most part run below this, and the IBM has a 4800 RPM HD. Is that going to make a big difference when burning at 4x?

If this is going to be a problem with all the burners I look at, I may just get it and notch it down to 2x. Just wondered if anyone else with a laptop / external burner combo could chime in.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Ok, I'm looking to buy an external DVD burner for my wife's new IBM thinkpad G40, and I found this one:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/tdk...writer-4x.html

the only hangup I have about buying it is that it recommends a 5400RPM hard drive speed; laptops for the most part run below this, and the IBM has a 4800 RPM HD. Is that going to make a big difference when burning at 4x?

If this is going to be a problem with all the burners I look at, I may just get it and notch it down to 2x. Just wondered if anyone else with a laptop / external burner combo could chime in.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've got my external burner connected to my Dell notebook and its been fine burning at 4X so I wouldn't worry about it.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've got my external burner connected to my Dell notebook and its been fine burning at 4X so I wouldn't worry about it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Matt I think that's just a catch-all warning. Not all drives at the same speed are equal. Some 4200rpm drives will keep up no problem w/ the 4X burner. Also, if you've got a nice, defragged and not-near-filled-to-capacity drive you're more likely not to encounter slow data transfer from the HD. But I think they put that there in case someone is running an old 4200rpm drive, badly in need of defragging, and filled to 70%+ capacity, just to be able to say "we told you it wouldn't work" if they get a trouble call.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Matt I think that's just a catch-all warning. Not all drives at the same speed are equal. Some 4200rpm drives will keep up no problem w/ the 4X burner. Also, if you've got a nice, defragged and not-near-filled-to-capacity drive you're more likely not to encounter slow data transfer from the HD. But I think they put that there in case someone is running an old 4200rpm drive, badly in need of defragging, and filled to 70%+ capacity, just to be able to say "we told you it wouldn't work" if they get a trouble call.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks