Quick sanity check on drive speeds

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Matt Stryker, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Ok, I'm looking to buy an external DVD burner for my wife's new IBM thinkpad G40, and I found this one:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/tdk...writer-4x.html

the only hangup I have about buying it is that it recommends a 5400RPM hard drive speed; laptops for the most part run below this, and the IBM has a 4800 RPM HD. Is that going to make a big difference when burning at 4x?

If this is going to be a problem with all the burners I look at, I may just get it and notch it down to 2x. Just wondered if anyone else with a laptop / external burner combo could chime in.

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Ok, I'm looking to buy an external DVD burner for my wife's new IBM thinkpad G40, and I found this one:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/tdk...writer-4x.html

the only hangup I have about buying it is that it recommends a 5400RPM hard drive speed; laptops for the most part run below this, and the IBM has a 4800 RPM HD. Is that going to make a big difference when burning at 4x?

If this is going to be a problem with all the burners I look at, I may just get it and notch it down to 2x. Just wondered if anyone else with a laptop / external burner combo could chime in.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've got my external burner connected to my Dell notebook and its been fine burning at 4X so I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've got my external burner connected to my Dell notebook and its been fine burning at 4X so I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Matt I think that's just a catch-all warning. Not all drives at the same speed are equal. Some 4200rpm drives will keep up no problem w/ the 4X burner. Also, if you've got a nice, defragged and not-near-filled-to-capacity drive you're more likely not to encounter slow data transfer from the HD. But I think they put that there in case someone is running an old 4200rpm drive, badly in need of defragging, and filled to 70%+ capacity, just to be able to say "we told you it wouldn't work" if they get a trouble call.

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Matt I think that's just a catch-all warning. Not all drives at the same speed are equal. Some 4200rpm drives will keep up no problem w/ the 4X burner. Also, if you've got a nice, defragged and not-near-filled-to-capacity drive you're more likely not to encounter slow data transfer from the HD. But I think they put that there in case someone is running an old 4200rpm drive, badly in need of defragging, and filled to 70%+ capacity, just to be able to say "we told you it wouldn't work" if they get a trouble call.