What's new

Quick router question (1 Viewer)

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I am still on my quest for a router (mostly slowed by the money situation). I have done my research and followed the advice form my previous thread on the subject. I am down to two models and am wondering the best route to take (pun intended).
I am considering the Bosch 1617EVS and the Porter Cable 690.
Basically, if I get the Bosch, I get a fixed base, variable speed 2 HP - 12 Amp router.
http://www.boschtools.com/Tools+and+...tem_no=1617EVS
For the same money, I can get the Porter Cable 690 fixed/plunge kit which is a 1.5 HP fixed speed router with interchangable bases and a handy carry case. You can put on the lighter ifxed base if thats what you need, or the heavier but more versatile plunge base.
http://www.porter-cable.com/cgi-bin/...&prod_id=693PK
Which would you buy? Both are vailable locally which is good for warranty reasons and ease of purchase.
I have seen the Bosch come in a kit with both bases but ym local store only has the fixed speed version (which is more than the porter cable one and I amgine the variable speed version costs even more
I am already spending more than I budgeted for as I was originally planning on getting a Sears $180 router but was talked out of it by the good advice here.
With the Bosch I could later add the plunge base for an additional $100 but that is a lot, I guess if I REALLY wanted it it I could justify the cost. I don't know how much more it is if the two bases come in the kit but I imagine it is more than I want to spend.
http://www.boschtools.com/Tools+and+...m_no=1617EVSPK
Basically the bottom line is, is variable speed worth giving up the plunge base for, or will I regret not having the plunge. If so, is the porter cable awesome enough that I shouldn't pony up the extra for the Bosch with the two bases.
I tried out the Bosch and it feels nice (it has wooden handles!) and it is lighter and more pwoerful than the Porter Cable.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Robin Smith

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Robin,

Maybe it's just bad luck, but I have had nothing but trouble with Porter Cable tools. Every tool I've ever owned that was made by them has shot craps on me. I'm guessing that they're not producing the quality tools that they used to since I know of others in the construction business that haven't had the best of luck with them either. Personally I would go with the Bosch if I had to choose between the two. If I could afford the extra cost, I would get a DeWalt or Makita. I think that they are two of the better tool manufacturers out there.

Brett Robert

Agent
I have more then 1 router. I have a small Makita plunge that is great. I love it. I think it is a 1h. I can't remember for sure it is about 10yrs old. Plunge is a must for my small router. I also have a 2horse Crapsman that I use with my router table. Not real easy to change depth but it is a work horse, and variable speed. That is important with different woods.

ace peterson

Second Unit
I have that Porter Cable 690 kit which includes the fixed base and the plunge base. I love it! I have used it for some projects around home and have had great success. I couldn't decide which kind to buy either, and ended up with this combo kit for like $200 or something at Lowe's. I have never used a Bosch, so I can't speak for it.

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Doh, sorry I meant to post this in the DIY section but got confused.

Thanks for the replies. The more research I do, the more I think the Bosch is for me. Now I want the one in the combo kit with the variable speed and the plunge and fixed bases. Grr, more money, but it'll be worth it in the long run. I could think of it as being the same as buying two Craftsman router - which it'll probably outlast.

Thanks for the input

Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks