Quick review of indie DVD "Innocents Betrayed"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dennis Nicholls, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    [​IMG]

DVD production has advanced to the point where independent film producers can get their films out on DVD as easily as on VHS, and with much better results.

Innocents Betrayed is in the model of Bowling for Columbine, in that it's part documentary and part political speech. Using somewhat of the Ken Burns method, narration, music, and scanning over mostly still photos, a portrait of genocide in the 20th century is made. Starting with the Turkish slaughter of the Armenians it then progresses through the genocides of the USSR, Germany, China, Cambodia, Guatemala, Uganda, and Rawanda. In each case it details how the genocide could happen: a totalitarian government takes charge, introduces strict "gun control", and then it's into the ovens. Because only the government could use force, 170,000,000 defenseless people in the 20th century became the victims of genocide. The film closes with a rebuttal of the "it can't happen in the US" argument. It shows how "gun control" was targetted against blacks and Indians with tragic results.

This 58 minute film is unrated, but is not appropriate for young children due to the horrific photos of mangled corpses.

DVD details: shown in the 4:3 OAR in color, although many of the photos are black and white. Sound format not listed on the package, but according to my Yamaha receiver appears to be DPL with most sound coming from the center. I found it better to turn off the surrounds and listen in 2 channel mode. The sound is clear but it's not a demonstration disc by any means. The same is true with the picture quality. The still photos are clear but limited by the source materials. There are some problems with the encoder as I saw some banding on some photos. It wasn't clear to me if this was an attempt to give an antique-matting quality to certain selected photos or if it was just a fault. The color interviews with JPFO members after the end of the feature have qood picture quality. I would guess I would give this a passing but not great mark for both picture and sound. The only extras are the interviews mentioned above. The menu is incredibly basic and there are no chapter stops.

Innocents Betrayed is available directly from JEWS FOR THE PRESERVATION OF FIREARM OWNERSHIP at http://www.jpfo.org/ib-orders.htm . Priced at $29.95 it isn't cheap.

This would be a fine documentary to show as part of a double-feature after a showing of Bowling for Columbine.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    *sigh*

In before the lock.

Joe

3. Anders Runestad

Thanks for posting this review, Dennis. This is independent filmmaking in its truest sense: independent production and distribution, and a perspective on a controversial issue that you would never get from Hollywood. Escape from Hollywood--as they say on the IFC--indeed.

I hope that no one reading this thread sniffs and turns their noses up at "Innocents Betrayed" in the belief that Michael Moore's "Bowling For Columbine" is a somehow more objective look at this subject. As is well documented, Moore's film is riddled with outright fabrications.

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Great review Dennis![​IMG] Well written, no spelling mistaiks! More please!
    You could be the HTF's documentary reviewist (is that a word?), no I'm not being sarcastic, I mean it, what's missing around here are intelligent reviews on the many interesting factual dvds out there, Trinity and Beyond, NASA space docs etc.
    Not sure I'll be ordering this one though, not my cup of tea, watching Bowling for Columbine 6 times was quite enough thank you.

ps. Watched Bowling for Columbine half a dozen times because my Sandra for no discernible reason went nuts over it! What a gal![​IMG]

WAS THIS POST USEFUL? YES/NO

5. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

For one, I'm just pleased to find out about alternative DVD titles like this.

That is, I've seen in quite a few places information about the Hulk DVD (or that set about that adventuring archeologist Indiana Jones). But, I also enjoy finding out about obscure titles which don't get the attention of the mainstream titles.

Thanks, Dennis! This one's not for me either, although it sounds like an interesting discussion of an important subject. Wonder if it will find its place into any rental operations?

7. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

8. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Hi Dennis! [​IMG]

~T