quick review Deperado SB

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Skill, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Mike_Skill

Mike_Skill Stunt Coordinator

I watched the Superbit Desperado last night. Very nice (although not a huge difference from the original release, which like the other superbit tiles are already very good) Some scenes looked absolutely hi-def, while others had a large amount of grain. (film elements?) I was a bit surprised at the amount of video drop-outs. The bright white specks that pop up from time to time. Not enough to drive me crazy, but certainly noticeable.
    The DTS soundtrack rocked.
    I didn't have the time last night to do a direct a-b with the original release, but I did check the bit rate. The original wavered from 4-6 MBS on average, the Superbit stayed up from 8.5-9.5 MBS.
    -Mike

2. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I agree with Mike on the DTS track. Compared to the original both the DD and DTS tracks sound better on SB. I did do an A-B comparison on Desperado,Fifth Element, and Air Force One between DD and DTS.The DD version does sound better than the original release, but the DTS track is clearly the preferred listening experience making the new DD track seem muffled on these titles.
    The video is better, not dramatic but better. I did purchase all 5 SB titles, and I'm very happy with the upgrade.LOL L [​IMG]

3. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

When you guys refer to the "original" release of 'Desperado,' do you mean the movie only version, or the one that was packaged with 'El Mariachi?'

4. Perry Sun

Perry Sun Extra

It should be noted that the Superbit versions of "Desparado" and "Johnny Mnemonic" are new transfers, so that needs to be factored into the equation when making comparative reviews between old and new DVD versions.

5. Mike_Skill

Mike_Skill Stunt Coordinator

My bit-rate comparison was done between the Superbit and the Desperado/El Mariachi combo disc.