What's new

Quick Resident Evil DVD Review (1 Viewer)

Gabe Sigler

Stunt Coordinator
Since I got my hands on this early, and I haven't read any reviews on this board yet, I figured I would post a quick review. Here it goes:

“Resident Evil”
Ratio: 1:85:1
Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1 (English & French)
Subtitles: English & French
Studio: Columbia Tri-Star Home Entertainment

The Feature:
A group of soldiers must defeat an underground army of zombies in this film, based on the blockbuster video game series.

Video:
Presented in it’s 1:85:1 theatrical ratio, this anamorphic transfer is a bit hit and miss. Colors are great, black levels are near perfect, and there are hardly any artifacts to be found. What keeps this from being a pristine transfer are the many scenes featuring an overwhelming amount of film grain. Perhaps this was visible during the theatrical run as well, and is actually not a fault of the transfer itself, but either way these scenes are quite distracting.

Audio:
If the video quality might have been a slight letdown, have no worries about the audio portion of this disk. Put simply, the 5.1 track on here rocks. Some may complain about the lack of a DTS track, but those concerns will evaporate as soon as the film kicks in. This is a great disk to give your sub a workout with, and also serves as a near-reference quality audio disk.

Extras:
Continuing on with the trend Columbia seems to be favoring lately, a new version of “Resident Evil” has already been confirmed for a future release. Whether or not you will actually feel a need to upgrade is entirely up to you, as this disk is still by no means bare bones. After being greeted by a rather extensive animated opening sequence, we are brought to the Special Features screen.

First up is a Cast & Filmmaker’s Commentary featuring director Paul W.S Anderson, Producer Jeremy Bolt, and stars Milla Jovovich & Michelle Rodriguez.

Next are a serious of 5 Featurettes. The first of these, “The Making Of Resident Evil”, (27:21 minutes) is basically what we have come to expect from this kind of feature-interviews with the cast & crew, coupled with an abundance of clips from the film. The producers reveal what attracted them to the project, and the cast reflect on their characters, and on their experiences making the film. Interview clips with the special effects & makeup teams are also included. This was pretty comprehensive for a featurette of this type.

“Scoring Resident Evil” (11:06) focuses on the film’s strange pairing of composers, traditional score composer Marco Beltrami, and goth-rocker Marilyn Manson. Interviews are provided with each composer, and watching each of them relate to the other’s style & methods was actually pretty interesting.

“Costumes” (3:26) as one might expect, features an interview with production designer Richard Bridgland, as well as interviews with Jovovich & Rodriguez on their outfits used during the film. A few design sketches are quickly shown as well.

“Set Design” (4:09) is made up of another interview with production designer Richard Bridgland, on the look he was aiming to achieve with this film. A small number of design sketches are shown as well.

Finally, “Zombie Make Up Tests” (1:10) is a short reel of numerous different zombie head shots, each shown so close up, that’s it’s actually quite creepy. As these makeup effects speed by so quickly in the film, it’s interesting to be able to study them a little closer.

The “My Plague” Music Video by Slipknot, the film’s Theatrical Trailer, 5 Bonus Trailers, and a set of Filmographies round off the extra features department.

The Final Say:

The audio on this alone makes “Resident Evil” a worthwhile purchase. The video
quality is a little weak at times however, and the extras (totaling just over 45 minutes) are
not terribly extensive. Hopefully the new DVD being prepared will include some of the
rumored uncut gore scenes the director was forced to remove. Until then, this version
should tide fans over nicely.

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Just got this today and looking forward to watching it.If the second release does include extra gore scenes,i could probably be persuaded to part with my cash.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Thanks for the review. I'll probably hold out fo the SE though as I am not overly anxious to see this.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
well i was surfing around and this is what i found.. it tells... hell i'll just let you read for yourself.
if they are gonna throw a new edition together and include an alternate ending.. then i'd bet my money on it including all that unedited gore. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gabe Sigler

Stunt Coordinator
The movie itself was actually better than I expected.
Lots of action, but the first half of the fiml definitely fares better than the second half, with more suspense, and a couple of cool deaths. All this plus a topless Milla Jovovich, what more could you ask for??:b

Matthew H

Second Unit
I thought it was an excellent film, but I'm definately waiting for the 2-disc. I was going to buy this release, but I figure I can wait a little longer to have more extras and (possibly) an uncut version of the film.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I also enjoyed this movie when I saw it in the theater. Definitely went in thinking it had a steep hill to climb but for what it is I thought it was pretty entertaining. Oh, and just to clarify, I have not played any of the RE games so I didn't bring any baggage that experience may create. I was looking forward to buying this at the end of the month but knowing that a special edition will be released allows me to hold off on that. I don't necessarily expect a very different cut of the movie (though it would be cool to see more gore - that was one of its weaknesses IMO) but knowing that there will be more bonus material is enough for me to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks