Quick question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Abe Vigoda, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Abe Vigoda

Abe Vigoda Auditioning

I wasn't quite sure which forum to post this question in, but from the looks of it, this might be the best one.

Ok, my dvd player has been skipping off and on for the past month or so. Everytime it has done this in the past i've always used a regular lense cleaner and it always seemed to work, but it didn't work the last time i used it and it kept on skipping. There must be some sort of film on the lense that the lense cleaner won't take off, so I figured I could just take the thing apart and clean the lense from the inside, but a friend of mine said something about "laser radiation" and said it might not be a good idea to take the thing apart and clean it that way. I did end up taking the top off the player and there was a label on the case that held the tray saying something about the laser radiation and not to look into the the eye, etc.

So basically my question is, would it be ok to clean the lense from the inside just as long as it's not pluged in and such? I really just want to make sure from someone who knows more about this kind of stuff (I.E. you folk) if it's ok, or not.

Thanks in advance for whomever answers.

Abe

2. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Hi Abe!
    I have no idea as to the answer to your inquiry.
    Just want to welcome you to HTF!
    (BTW....When is your series, Fish, coming to DVD?) [​IMG]

3. Abe Vigoda

Abe Vigoda Auditioning

Thanks for the welcome.

Any idea if there's another forum here that would better suit this question? Theres just sooo many of em. I wasn't sure which one I should pick.

hehe. and i'm not too sure about those dvds. Would be nice though.

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Accessing the laser is perfectly safe as long as it is not powered on.

However, I have a feeling you have something of an alignment problem, and that your lens is not dirty. Anything you insert into a DVD or CD player that makes physical contact with the lens assembly increases the chances of knocking it out of alignment... so be very careful in there. Realigning requires special equipment, and would cost more than an average DVD player is worth.

If you live in a non-smoking house and you don't put anything dirty into an optical disc player, you should be able to go for years without ever cleaning the lens. I have a 4 year old DVD player and a 10 year old CD player that have never been cleaned (well, not INSIDE), and they work flawlessly.

-Scott

5. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Accessing the laser is perfectly safe as long as it is not powered on.

However, I have a feeling you have something of an alignment problem, and that your lens is not dirty. Anything you insert into a DVD or CD player that makes physical contact with the lens assembly increases the chances of knocking it out of alignment... so be very careful in there. Realigning requires special equipment, and would cost more than an average DVD player is worth.

If you live in a non-smoking house and you don't put anything dirty into an optical disc player, you should be able to go for years without ever cleaning the lens. I have a 4 year old DVD player and a 10 year old CD player that have never been cleaned (well, not INSIDE), and they work flawlessly.

-Scott