Quick question: Why are you supposed to let a RPTV warm up to room temp upon arrival

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Wesley S, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Wesley S

Wesley S Stunt Coordinator

I've read this a few times here as a forewaring and when speaking to a few different salespeople they also said the same thing. At the time I didn't ask why but I am now.

So whats the real reason [​IMG]

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

The tv can get very cold in the warehouse/delivery truck. When you bring it into the warm house, you can get condensation in all kinds of places. It's unlikely, but one bad solder joint with some water/condensation could make your tv very, very unhappy.

Or, imagine the screen being very cold but inside components warming up very fast when you turn it on and causing condensation on the inside of the screen .... could take a long time for that to dry out.

Just be patient and wait.

3. Wesley S

Wesley S Stunt Coordinator

Oh believe me I will. I was just curious.

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Main reason , high voltage and wet glass. If there are wet surfaces from condensation and you put 30 thousand volts on it - You will get serious arcing and serious damage. It doesn't happen often but I have had it happen during cold winter weather and hot summer times (air conditioning can cause condensation when leaving indoors and going out into high humidity)