What's new

Quick Question(s) about Copyright Warning... (1 Viewer)

actionsub

Agent
Real Name
Mike Stidham
I'm surprised they don't specifically mention churches. I know of several here who have monthly "movie nights" and show a movie on a big screen to a gathering of people. Some of those movies are OK to be shown that way but many are not. (surprisingly, I've found church members to be some of the more egregious violators of copyright with most not realizing they are doing so).

And that is so. Christian movie studios have formed a consortium of sorts to offer blanket licensing to churches for a fee for these purposes. This would not cover some church showing "The Passion of the Christ", for instance, because 20th Century Fox would not be covered by that blanket license.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Quick anecdotal story: For 10 years now, I've done work for my local city government each June, setting up & running projection & sound for their summer outdoor Movies in the Park program (blow-up screen, DVD player with projector).

It's a small, rural area. We (the City) pay the studios anywhere from $500 to $800 for the license to play the movie (no admission; it's free to the public). We also must pass along an estimate of attendance back to the studio, which is usually between 500-1000 folks.

It really sucks when it gets rained out, like last week's planned showing of the recent Jumanji film, because we've still paid the fee & the movie must be shown or we waste it. However, the studio dictates when we can show certain films (I suspect it correlates with their current theatrical release schedule). We've had to wait clear until September a couple times to play postponed movies due to this.

The studios generally send a DVD for us to play (they've never mailed a Blu-ray). In 2012, we played the Diary of a Wimpy Kid sequel from that year, before its commercial DVD release. 20th Century Fox mailed us a VHS tape. I was the only one with a VCR, so I zipped home & brought it to the park so we could play the film.

Just shows the level of complexity (& control) the studios wield when it comes to "public exhibitions."

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I think the warnings [disclaimers] are likely just an extension of Tim Allen's humor. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's even more annoying if the copyright message is listed numerous times on some bluray discs that have up to 25 different languages for the subtitles and you can't fast forward them.
Nobody even bothers to read these messages ,annoying as they are. Copyright infringement is rife especially in third world countries that can ill-afford to lost money to the pirates. China and Russia are amongst the worst offenders It is always better to buy an original dvd or bluray as the quality is superior and they can be bought cheaper after a couple of months from your local seller ,than what the pirates sell them for. Just go to your local markets and you will find that that are rife with the selling of pirated items including electronic goods and even clothes. Raids are common in my country. By buying pirated items you are supporting the criminal gangs that sell such stuff.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Why are they so strict? Is it the money (better known as their "bottom line")?

I think a loss of control in the digital age (pirating, etc.) has caused them to crack down harder on IP issues these days.

I also DJ at some small town clubs & the music publishing companies have been much more aggressive with collecting fees from these establishments in the past 10-15 years than they ever were before. (I've talked to restaurants & stores who have to pay $800 or so a year to play background music to the dance clubs that are paying $8,000 per year.)

I think that's why the studios (movies, TV, music) like the streaming model so much. It gives them more control over their assets.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
It's even more annoying if the copyright message is listed numerous times on some bluray discs that have up to 25 different languages for the subtitles and you can't fast forward them.
Nobody even bothers to read these messages ,annoying as they are. Copyright infringement is rife especially in third world countries that can ill-afford to lost money to the pirates. China and Russia are amongst the worst offenders It is always better to buy an original dvd or bluray as the quality is superior and they can be bought cheaper after a couple of months from your local seller ,than what the pirates sell them for. Just go to your local markets and you will find that that are rife with the selling of pirated items including electronic goods and even clothes. Raids are common in my country. By buying pirated items you are supporting the criminal gangs that sell such stuff.
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/forums/blu-ray-and-uhd.88/
But without daily reminders, how would you remember that "Piracy is not a victimless crime" or that "The International Criminal Police Organization - INTERPOL, has expressed its concern about motion picture and sound recording piracy"?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But without daily reminders, how would you remember that "Piracy is not a victimless crime" or that "The International Criminal Police Organization - INTERPOL, has expressed its concern about motion picture and sound recording piracy"?
And without frequent warnings, you would surely become a criminal offender yourself.

And for those that are already bootlegging, those warnings definitely put a stop to the activity by triggering a deep and incredible sense of shame and regret in the bootlegger for the damage they're causing to a multi-billion dollar Hollywood studio.

:rolleyes:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
And without frequent warnings, you would surely become a criminal offender yourself.

And for those that are already bootlegging, those warnings definitely put a stop to the activity by triggering a deep and incredible sense of shame and regret in the bootlegger for the damage they're causing to a multi-billion dollar Hollywood studio.

:rolleyes:
Whenever I copy a DVD, I leave those warnings off.

:rock:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Whenever I copy a DVD, I leave those warnings off.

:rock:

I put a warning on my DVDs that say "R.C.M.P. Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that copying DVDs may be hazardous to your health!" :laugh:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Are they still using the Interpol warning that looks like it was poorly dubbed from a 5th generation EP VHS tape? I haven't paid attention lately, but it seems like they were using it long after it should have been replaced.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Are they still using the Interpol warning that looks like it was poorly dubbed from a 5th generation EP VHS tape? I haven't paid attention lately, but it seems like they were using it long after it should have been replaced.

The FOX releases still have those archaic warnings.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Thought I'd follow up on my earlier post. This is an example of the DVDs the studio sends us to play for our movies in the park program.

You can see how locked down the rights are for public performance. And yes, it's a burned disc. (Hopefully I attached the photo properly.)

Attachments

• 20180629_204642.jpg
    20180629_204642.jpg
    934.9 KB · Views: 36

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
You can see how locked down the rights are for public performance. And yes, it's a burned disc. (Hopefully I attached the photo properly.)

You did (albeit I always prefer to insert the images into the post where applicable, rather than just attaching them).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swethaJK
Recent bookmarks